Frozen Rotors

Gkuhn41

1 hour ago, Gkuhn41 said:

How much extra life do you see out of your frozen rotors?

We swap rotors each weekend using 36 dollar blanks from Autozone do guys get multiple weekends out of frozen rotors?

Dude, brakes are free now, why don't you ask Bill Riley for a set of his IMSA Mercedes setups?

Serious note, I know more teams that have tried them and gone back than have stuck with them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gkuhn41 said:

We swap rotors each weekend using 36 dollar blanks from Autozone do guys get multiple weekends out of frozen rotors?

I think the ‘theory’ is higher abrasive wear resistance leading to longer rotor life... this would be great for street use, but I think it is a non-issue in racing. In my experience, rotors (including frozen rotors which I have tried) will not see any abrasion or wear in racing conditions, but they will start cracking. It is the cracks which ultimately force a team to retire the rotor. I pushed frozen rotors to several weekends to try them out and then had problems with brake shake because the cracks had gotten too large. I now use the cheapest blanks that I can find and replace each weekend. It would take 3 weekends on a set of frozen to justify the price and I don’t think they will go that long before cracks become a problem.

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 3

Working as pit marshals we have seen many cracked rotors with the worst ones being frozen rotors. No background on running them but just saying what we have 

seen.

I have found the best rotors for us are Brembo as they wear really well and do not crack, a few heat checks. I measure them and turn them as needed and the only way we change is when and if they warp.

3 hours ago, Gkuhn41 said:

Tried them once when we were doing other things wrong(over temp w/ RP2 pads), they did not help, saying that, I'm sure they may have worn better if we had our stuff together in 2012.

Currently we replace the rotors with pads, cheapie  blanks w/a 2 year warranty, have not bought rotors in a year.

• Members

I was going through rotors once a race for cracking. I tried frozen and went a season or more, my caliper bolt worked itself out and the caliper ran a groove in it.

On 3/26/2021 at 8:21 PM, Team Infiniti said:

Tried them once when we were doing other things wrong(over temp w/ RP2 pads), they did not help, saying that, I'm sure they may have worn better if we had our stuff together in 2012.

Currently we replace the rotors with pads, cheapie  blanks w/a 2 year warranty, have not bought rotors in a year.

RP2 are garbage, we all know that, dead horse, nothing would help those POS pads. Get some real pads.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback. 

We bought a set since we had the coupons and they are a sponsor. Figured we would give them a fair shake as they support the series.

If we dont go an entire season on them im planning on using the remaining coupons on my tow vehicle, probably a better use from what i am reading. 

• Like 1

On 3/26/2021 at 5:03 PM, enginerd said:

I think the ‘theory’ is higher abrasive wear resistance leading to longer rotor life... this would be great for street use, but I think it is a non-issue in racing. In my experience, rotors (including frozen rotors which I have tried) will not see any abrasion or wear in racing conditions, but they will start cracking. It is the cracks which ultimately force a team to retire the rotor. I pushed frozen rotors to several weekends to try them out and then had problems with brake shake because the cracks had gotten too large. I now use the cheapest blanks that I can find and replace each weekend. It would take 3 weekends on a set of frozen to justify the price and I don’t think they will go that long before cracks become a problem.

We had the exact same experience.

Tried them once, they had worse pulsation sooner than the $18 auto value rotors which we went back to after throwing away that $120 junk.