2021 RVA Graphics & Wraps Daytona Beach 14-hour race results

Bill Strong

7 minutes ago, 67Mustang said:

You know, Ed has been known to drive that car (or his previous car) to work lol

Congrats Ed and team, great drive and great work to one of the nicest and most generous people in the series.

I had to laugh during the broadcast as Bill the others were trying to remember if and when Ed won previously lol..  This answers that question! 

Ed won at NOLA as well.😀

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bill Strong said:

getting there. Ray and I just switched off driving. Internet along i95 in South Carolina is not blazing fast.

neither is the average speed of traffic on that section of interstate so it fits. Be safe great broadcast and result

Edited by TimS
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rodger Coan-Burningham said:

I talked to Ed a few minutes after he got out of the car after the first stint and he was livid about losing a lap. I don’t recall the circumstances but either way whether he got it back or not I’m glad he won the race. Good times.

They picked up the wrong Boxster as the leader  😬

Will post race recap later but congrats to Shark car!

• Like 3

I talked to Ed as we were pulling out of the paddock around 130 am.  I don't think there was a protest at impound, but tech was looking closely at their suspension and camber plates.  Whatever it was, it added like 50 (ish) points to their TCV, and down the standings they went.

I'm sure Ed will be on here shortly and give us his own updated, but I also send my congrats!  Lots of very fast cars had bad days, but Ed and Team Infiniti had a great day! 

Edited by krispykritter
  • Like 3

Glad to see Ed end up prevailing after all. Watched the last bit of the race and he was laying down some fast laps to stay out front but the Merc was just too fast. 

Interested to hear what was found with the 190e. 

eta-50 points is quite a bit of unclaimed parts considering how much is free and/or cheap.

Edited by Bandit
  • Like 5

Hopefully someone can give a bit of a damage report on the Crowd Control Cobra as it's due at Road America later this week and also what changes they may have observed on the SuperVette. I picked up a comment on CCLive, from Bill I believe, that the car now has iron heads.

And Riley said it was faster. 🤣

• Like 1

I don't think you'll be seeing the crowd control cobra at Road America =( it ate a tire wall pretty good.  Alex said he thinks the frame may be tweaked.  It drove itself back in to the garage (and trailer) but it's a mess.

I kinda told Alex while we were waiting for tech that painting it was just asking for a bad day.  I might've cursed them =(

I have no idea what happened the the Riley corvette tho.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, krispykritter said:

I don't think you'll be seeing the crowd control cobra at Road America =( it ate a tire wall pretty good.  Alex said he thinks the frame may be tweaked.  It drove itself back in to the garage (and trailer) but it's a mess.

I kinda told Alex while we were waiting for tech that painting it was just asking for a bad day.  I might've cursed them =(

I have no idea what happened the the Riley corvette tho.

I saw from the in car the steering was at least 45 degrees off so knew something was bent. Will be unfortunate if it's the frame as well. 

They reported the Vette was overheating. Curious if one of the iron heads cracked as the late 70's castings are thin and notorious for that. Judging by it's best lap, a 2:10, it's still fast.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, Bandit said:

Hopefully someone can give a bit of a damage report on the Crowd Control Cobra as it's due at Road America later this week and also what changes they may have observed on the SuperVette. I picked up a comment on CCLive, from Bill I believe, that the car now has iron heads.

And Riley said it was faster. 🤣

But I gather the Vette still had to take laps?  That I think was also a comment from Bill, but Bill please correct me if I am mis stating or incorrectly remembering lol.  

31 minutes ago, Bandit said:

I saw from the in car the steering was at least 45 degrees off so knew something was bent. Will be unfortunate if it's the frame as well. 

They reported the Vette was overheating. Curious if one of the iron heads cracked as the late 70's castings are thin and notorious for that. Judging by it's best lap, a 2:10, it's still fast.

Good points, and we both know the more you hog out material the closer you get to water the jacket....  That said, Had a buddy find a pinhole or porosity failure on a Al intake on his 427 Vette at Road America one year at the Redman Challenge.  I suppose that too could have been do to porting.  But it ended their day as well.

• Like 1

• Administrators

With the multiplayer the GBU Corvette started something like 5 to 7 laps down.

Note.

Any points added to a car after impound are subject to the lap multiplier of the event.

But you guys knew that because you read tbe rules really carefully.  Lol

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, Bill Strong said:

I am working off 4 hours sleep and almost 55,000 steps this weekend. My body is not built for that many steps.
Plus I had to climb the east banking 7 times to sort out one of the cameras for the show. I am hurting today.

🚶‍♂️55,000 steps!!! If you would lay off the ice cream, you'd be svelte 😝

1 hour ago, 67Mustang said:

But I gather the Vette still had to take laps?  That I think was also a comment from Bill, but Bill please correct me if I am mis stating or incorrectly remembering lol.  

He made a comment about a lot of points for the IRS and that BMW teams better watch out.

I will not be holding my breath on that, but we'll see.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bandit said:

He made a comment about a lot of points for the IRS and that BMW teams better watch out.

I will not be holding my breath on that, but we'll see.

This is a definite fear that I have with my car. Everyone is fine with high point cars running at the front and letting low point cars fill the field. But when you go and spend all your points and build a fast car the pitchforks come out pretty fast.

• Like 1

Like everyone else congratulations, well done to Team Infinity. Last night was the first time that I have watched ChampCar live, one of the coolest things you can have in endurance racing is a last hour chase down, even though in this case the places changed back after the race it was fun to watch.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Bill Strong said:

Note.

Any points added to a car after impound

I would hope there is also a multiplier for "you didn't claim this" as well, otherwise there is no incentive to claim parts...

I watched the majority of the broadcast while prepping the car for Road America, always love doing that. Heartbreak for Team Infinity as I watched Ed set and reset his FTDs trying to stay ahead in the final stint but fall just short, what a great race! Glad they got the W after all. Awesome broadcast. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Big shoutout to the champcar team for managing the event very well. Even with the "storm" that rolled through.

I heard "heim joints" being mentioned a lot in impound. Not sure that was the culprit for the 150's penalty but with how much they were looking at suspension it could be. 

• Like 2