2021 RVA Graphics & Wraps Daytona Beach 14-hour race results

Bill Strong

What. A. Great. Race!

First - all congratulations due to the overall winners and class winners. Great to see teams like Team Infiniti and JAS get their due! Give all us little guys out there hope!

Second - considering the size of the field and the fact that so many cars / drivers were teched on Friday (implying this being the first race of the season for them), it was an incredibly clean race (esp. compared to Road Atlanta). Congrats to all the teams and drivers. 

Also a huge thanks to CCES and Daytona staff for a great event. Daytona has really become one of our favorite events and one we look forward to now every year. Top notch all the way. 

Now for the race report. 

There is no worse feeling than lining up on the grid and going out under the pace laps only to immediately determine that there is something REALLY WRONG with your car. But there is the tremendous sense of relief when you discover it's something trivial. So when Skip pitted after the first two green laps because the car was basically missing on one or more cylinders, we all had that sinking feeling. We pulled the coil packs off and found a little gift from the blizzard at Road Atlanta - about 2" of water in the coil pack/plug holes on 3-6. A 10 minute pit stop later (and a quick dry with the air gun) and we were back in business. Lost 4 laps, but it's a marathon, not a sprint. 

We started our race for real at P111 and just started chipping away lap by lap, hour by hour. We stayed on our driver change and fueling schedule and started climbing the field. Broke into the top 100. Then the top 75, top 50, etc. As we expected, attrition really started to take hold by hour 6 and we found ourselves up to the top 20. When the lightning delay stopped the track, Paul had us up to 15th overall.

Dan took the car out at the restart and we gambled to run until the fuel light came on, and the timing worked out perfectly with us climbing to 12 (10 excluding EC). What didn't turn out perfectly was a stuck lug nut that turned our 5-7 minute pit stop with fuel, driver change and 2 new tires into an 11 minute pit stop and broken torque wrench that dropped us to 17 (15 excluding EC). Skip was in to take us to the checker where we climbed back a spot and ended the race at 16 (14 excluding EC). 

A huge shout out to  Rodger, @Chris Huggins and @Hurljohn w/ Danger - great hanging out with you guys and hope to see you again soon. And good luck to our friends BurningHam at the Championships next weekend @Rodger Coan-Burningham, Chris Preston and Casey Hooper!

20210410_2084_kurtroussell.jpg

20210410_1893_kurtroussell.jpg

Edited by RocketHamRacing
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, krispykritter said:

Agree with the passing under yellow, particularly on the back straight towards the busstop.  Lots of folks even missed the flashing lights at the top of the bank!  We don't bother to report them though.

But agree on the driving, I only saw a couple nasty moves out there and I'm not aware of any big crashes involving more than one car.  It was very clean for a Daytona race!

I went this year to only spectate, while sitting in the bleachers at the horseshoe there were 3 separate FCY's, I saw so much passing under yellow that the one poor flagman could not possibly have called them all in, one car actually passed 5 cars between the flag station and turn in of the curve. The staff does a good job but I think they are under staffed to handle 100 + cars. 

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, the5 said:

After an intense 4 week time frame to build two Boxsters from streetcars this is an amazing result. Want to give a thank you to Function Motorsports for knocking out two Cages In 7 DAYS! I gave him a completely insane time frame when I needed the cars done and he knocked it out of the park. After the cages, Eric, Alex, Doug and Peter worked on weekends and after school/work to build the two cars in 3 weeks.

Those were some seriously fast cars! Great work getting them out there! 

Correct me if I am wrong but isn’t unclaimed parts a DQ in the rule book? I know it has been that before. Also when will what was unclaimed be reported to the members? Putting what was done and then penalized might stop others from doing it in advance knowing it will be caught. 

My only other comment is the passing under yellow and “in race policing” needs some help. I’m no expert on how to fix this but I witnessed from the driver seat so much. I also watched a car punt and spin another car right in front of me right in front of a corner worker. That car then passed me again shortly later under yellow right under a corner worker's nose in turn 1. It caught us as it’s a lot faster than our car. Teammate on radio during the front straight into turn 1 yellow with 15-20min to go was calling out to

me 5-6 cars a lap passing under yellow. How many received or penalties?

Working on our race report now. 

Edited by dinanm3atl

Here is my personal race report.  We ate at Racing's North Turn Friday night.  It was good.  Saturday we started strong and had spectacular engine failure very early.  We loaded up and then we at lunch at Cantina Louie across from the track.  It was good.  We headed home.  Drove up 1A1 instead of I95 to see what little of the beach you can see peaking through all the condos and houses.  Home by 2pm Sunday.  

It was good to see everybody, maybe see a few more this weekend at the national championship.  For those making that trip, drive safe.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

32 minutes ago, Rodger Coan-Burningham said:

Here is my personal race report.  We ate at Racing's North Turn Friday night.  It was good.  Saturday we started strong and had spectacular engine failure very early.  We loaded up and then we at lunch at Cantina Louie across from the track.  It was good.  We headed home.  Drove up 1A1 instead of I95 to see what little of the beach you can see peaking through all the condos and houses.  Home by 2pm Sunday.  

It was good to see everybody, maybe see a few more this weekend at the national championship.  For those making that trip, drive safe.

It still hurts too much to discuss...but yeah, what Roger said...

• Haha 1
  • Sad 5

1 minute ago, Bandit said:

So that's what "Don't dive bomb me Miata" green looks like. 🙂

Yeah. Didn't work, though. Got tagged by a white Miata with an hour left at west hoseshoe. Time to pull that slide hammer out this weekend. And mix up a new batch of paint. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, dinanm3atl said:

Correct me if I am wrong but isn’t unclaimed parts a DQ in the rule book? I know it has been that before.

per the BCCR:

"1.3.8. Disqualification from Race: If you have hidden, or concealed anything on your car that is illegal in anyway, OR violated ChampCar’s rules, OR failed to meet the spirit and/ or intent of ChampCar’s rules, or you have seriously and repeatedly violated the event’s driving safety rules, your car may be disqualified from the event. The act of disqualifying any car may occur at any time. Notification shall be issued by a ChampCar official."

I'm sure that can be interpreted to any benefit or loss depending on how you read it and to the situation. If it's a true mis-sight, I'd say the penalty was fair. If it's one of those "oops, forgot to tell you I swapped that M50 for a S52" moments in the middle of the race when it looks like you're going to podium, I'd say that was pretty much a violation/not meeting the spirit of the rules. 

• Like 4

Crap, had started typing quite a bit and now its zapped, lost *mumbles something about hating computers*

Deep breath, Im here, will get to a little race recapping, provide some answers, and forward facing videos soon, but most importantly:

ChampCar staff, volunteers, and Club membersA big Thank You from Team Infiniti!

Mike, Luis and I are blown away, still recovering and processing everything that has happened over the last weekend.

This win is dedicated to Jake.

• Like 28

31 minutes ago, chip said:

neither can I- just gotta post a faster time than you...

I guess it will be a good goal if you can post the second fastest time of the three of us.

2 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

Crap, had started typing quite a bit and now its zapped, lost *mumbles something about hating computers*

Deep breath, Im here, will get to a little race recapping, provide some answers, and forward facing videos soon, but most importantly:

ChampCar staff, volunteers, and Club membersA big Thank You from Team Infiniti!

Mike, Luis and I are blown away, still recovering and processing everything that has happened over the last weekend.

This win is dedicated to Jake.

You earned it buddy, enjoy the result.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Correct me if I am wrong but isn’t unclaimed parts a DQ in the rule book? I know it has been that before.

5.5.2.1.2. Valid vehicle protests will result in disqualification of the car, or reclassifying the car to EC, or adjusting the Total Vehicle Performance Index (TVPI), at the discretion of the Event Director. 

The Merc got adjusted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Correct me if I am wrong but isn’t unclaimed parts a DQ in the rule book? I know it has been that before. Also when will what was unclaimed be reported to the members? Putting what was done and then penalized might stop others from doing it in advance knowing it will be caught. 

My only other comment is the passing under yellow and “in race policing” needs some help. I’m no expert on how to fix this but I witnessed from the driver seat so much. I also watched a car punt and spin another car right in front of me right in front of a corner worker. That car then passed me again shortly later as it’s a lot faster than our car. Teammate on radio during the front straight into turn 1 yellow with 15-20min to go was calling out to

me 5-6 cars a lap passing under yellow. How many received or penalties?

Working on our race report now. 

Did you happen to get that punt and spin on video?  That may have been us and just want to confirm what I think happened.  All our in-car shows is the wall and a cloud of dirt...

Congrats to everyone who won especially @Team Infiniti know you guys were working hard for the win and you've been around a long while. Also thank you to all the staff and corner workers making this event happen.

For my first "real" wheel to wheel racing I had a lot of fun I was in the Red SVT focus car did excellent for having sat for about 2 year before being turned into a race car. 3 issues stunted our day first a puncture about 3 hours in that lost us 40mins or so. About hour 8 just before the storm rolled in a driver caught a tire wall in the bus stop from the abs not liking the curbing, threw him all sorts of weird and he just couldn't control it. No real damage other than a dented fender but had to beat it away from the tire to make sure it didn't cut that tire too that was another 40 mins. And finally while I was driving 28 mins from the end upper radiator hose blew, our hood vent definitely works as that water made sure I couldn't see at all. Unfortunately we didn't have a spare upper only a lower hose but I think someone else was watching out for me. After I had calmed down from trying to quickly get a new hose on the car (team didn't know I was back at the garage as comms had failed) I realized that 3 of the 5 screws holding the steering wheel had vibrated out and the last 2 were loose. When I got back in the car to move it from in front of the garage the steering wheel came off in my hands so thankfully that didn't happen on track or I'd have at minimum most likely totaled the car.

Very happy with the car for it's first ever event was very reliable considering all points no issues with anything other than the hose which is a small issue huge shout out to everyone on the team as well as I know I didn't put anywhere near the same amount of work into the car as they did and I feel bad that I was the one driving when the hose blew really wish we'd have been able to take the checkered. But I can't be to upset for our first event making it almost to the end of the race!

Edited by SVOFANATIC
  • Like 7

5 minutes ago, SVOFANATIC said:

Very happy with the car for it's first ever event was very reliable considering all points no issues with anything other than the hose which is a small issue huge shout out to everyone on the team as well as I know I didn't put anywhere near the same amount of work into the car as they did and I feel bad that I was the one driving when the hose blew really wish we'd have been able to take the checkered. But I can't be to upset for our first event making it almost to the end of the race!

Great attitude - always things to learn along the way. Glad to see you guys out there.

Since we and I am sure a lot of other teams also have a lot of video to go sort through to document the weekend I decided to upload all of the raw footage into one playlist so interested parties can watch (and maybe even fast forward) to see if they can find their cars.  They are broken up into 20min videos so we have a few of them up there.  (I tried to link the playlist but i am not sure if it worked correctly).  

You can see some pretty quick lap times I think our fastest was 2:15.96 and most of them averaged out close to the low 2:20’s

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rodger Coan-Burningham said:

We have been there.  It sucks to blow up a fresh build.  Look at the good side of things.  Other than the motor change, there is not much race prep to do before the championship.  Good luck!

9 minutes ago, Clifford Beisler said:

We have been there.  It sucks to blow up a fresh build.  Look at the good side of things.  Other than the motor change, there is not much race prep to do before the championship.  Good luck!

It was my motor...although we have changed a motor the night before the race for Rodger as well!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1