2022 ChampCar iRacing Series: Round 2, VIR Grand West - 2/9/2022, 2/16/2022

Rapido

Thank you to everyone who turned out for Round 1 at Road Atlanta - it was great to see such a large field with clean and considerate racing and driving throughout. 

We're moving on to Virginia for Round 2, with the first of three visits to the lovely motorsport resort of VIR. Please note that for this round we are utilising the unusual "Grand West" layout. The reason for this is that the South config (at which ChampCar is racing in March) uses the auxiliary south pits at VIR, which has a limit of 34 cars in iRacing. Last season we ran into an issue where some people were not able to join due to this limit and, as we predict a larger field this year, this is something we want to avoid. The Grand West config is a compromise as it enables us to use the main pits whilst also including 90% of the South course as part of the track. 

Car for this round is our favourite Miata NC Cup, using the iRacing baseline with limited fuel to force a stop. The track is pretty challenging so I'd advise a few practice laps. I will also be acting as a live steward for the championship round, keeping an eye on driving throughout the field and ensuring that everyone remains friends.

Session Details

• Practice Round: Wednesday, 9-February-2022
  • Championship Round: Wednesday, 16-February-2022
  • Practice Start: 6:30pm ET
  • Qualifying Start: 8:30pm ET
  • Race Start: 9:30pm ET
  • Car: Mazda Miata NC Cup
  • Track: Virginia International Raceway - Grand West
  • In-Sim Practice Session Date: Saturday, 5-March-2022
  • In-Sim Practice Session Start Time: 1:30pm
  • In-Sim Time Multiplier: 1x
  • Weather: Auto-Generated
  • Setup: iRacing Baseline Setup with 6.4g Fuel
  • Fast Repairs: 1
  • License Requirements: Practice Rounds (None), Championship Round (>D2.0)

Useful Links

ChampCar iRacing Series - League Application

ChampCar iRacing Series - Discord Server

2022 ChampCar iRacing Series Schedule

2022 ChampCar iRacing Series Broadcast Information Form

2022 ChampCar iRacing Series Protest Form

Guide to iRacing and Hardware

How to create your own iRacing paints

iRacing Tips and Resources

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mostmint said:

These laps are going to be like 3 minutes and for those new to VIR there will are soooo many turns to learn.  There is only one very short section that will be new to those who did all the races last season.

And that section, I find, is super tricky.  I need A LOT more laps.

54 minutes ago, Rapido said:

Sadly it is not possible - the "short" pace laps are only available on a few road courses, and this config is not one of them.

In that case we might consider lining up single file until we get close to hog pen - if you think this bunch can pull that off 

14 hours ago, CoachMK21 said:

And that section, I find, is super tricky.  I need A LOT more laps.

Oh man it’s painful trying to do a hot lap and completely miss that section and have to go around for another 3.5 minutes to finish one. I need to look at the track map before I try this course again. 

Well that practice session proved to be troublesome.  Lap 1 was going great until the turn onto the South course, where it appeared that half the field had an incident.  So sorry to @Justin Hall for getting into the back of you.  I suspect there was something already brewing ahead of you.  I couldn't go back to review it.

The length of the lap and number of turns makes it a nice challenge.  A small mistake on exit results in gobs of time lost.  I ended up pitting after lap 2 to fix the damage I had and was able to run in open air with consistent laps and eventually made it up to 4th after everyone took their stop.  So many top drivers left early, that I suspect I would have been 5-7 places further back had they stuck it out.

I was far enough back that I could dodge the melee that caught @CoachMK21 .  I made it to the blind left hander after that before I got run over - I could write the first contact off to netcode but I got hit twice by the same car.  Maybe I did more braking than he was expecting?  Anyway no damage from that but I was spun around and got hit in the right rear when Lee couldn't avoid me which bent up the corner of the car pretty good.  I qualified P15, but after the events of lap 1 I was still P14 at the end of the lap. 

On lap 4 I missed oak tree a bit and spun out there.  After that it was just putting in laps and moving up the standings, ending up P6.  I had a chance at P5 on the last lap - was closing in but I missed oak tree again - less this time though so it only cost me a few seconds.  While I didn't gain, I had enough of a gap on P7 I was able to hold. 

Here's to next week having a cleaner start.

Edited by mostmint

Put together a quick lap guide for anyone that it might help. I apparently didn’t save my replay file for my fast qualy lap but I think they are close enough. 

For my mini-practice race recap, I was lucky to run 1 more lap at the end and realized the track cooled significantly and was setting purple sectors everywhere. Qualy in 2nd and had an optimal right at Mark’s time which tells me I need to be near perfect. Bad start let P3 and P4 by on the outside. I thought about going 2 wide through NASCAR and Left Hook but decided to just hang back and bide my time.

After the big incident with P2 and P3 at the braking zone on the back straight I just focused on staying in the draft with Mark. It went ok for a few laps but I was having to push pretty hard to stay up and I tried to experiment in a new line which did NOT work. Ended up getting a cutting penalty and decided to just pit super early. This was a huge mistake since there are a few sections on this track where slow traffic can destroy your lap and it’s not wide enough to be confident in other drivers. Made my way up to 3rd and figure with pit stops I would have been back in 2nd but the trafffic killed my chances of battling with Mark so I decided that was enough practice. Looking forward to this race!

• Like 2

After the practice race I went to work and shaved about 3 seconds off my lap time, which netted me a P9 starting position.  I still have to work on lap 1 speed but this time everyone got by clean and after a few laps I got up to speed and started working my way back up.  Had some really good racing with several different guys in 8th-12th throughout the race.  For being such a huge track, I was surprised that most of the time I had cars close by to race with. 

I was not a fan of having to run this mini-Nurburgring track layout, but after a last lap pass netted me a P6 my best finish yet in this series, I'm starting to warm up to it.  

Edited by mostmint

Love racing recap: Had a good practice race and felt comfortable with the pace up front. With such a draft-intensive track I figured I could run with Mark up front and hope some pit strategy and backmarkers could put me ahead in the closing minutes. Qualy P2 and actually had a decent start and held the position. Seemed there was some incident behind which left Justin a few seconds back and I felt pretty comfortable drafting Mark. 

Then everyone disappeared and I realized my Wifi cut out. I ran almost a half a lap with just me on track hoping everyone would pop back up but then I got kicked out. I even hopped out of my rig to hook the ethernet cord back up but went to grab a beer first and completely forgot. A lost result in the miata is doubly painful since it's my favorite car on the service.

Well on to the jetta!

• Sad 1