Jump to content

Dirty hydramat


turbogrill
 Share

Recommended Posts

Per Holley, they aren't serviceable and have to be replaced.

This looks horrible- mine still looks brand new after more time and use.  I'm curious what caused that discoloration?   Is it undersized for the application, maybe?

 

Glad you caught it before it caused you issues

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I didn't install it, but a "professional" did. Was the tank clean? No clue :)

 

It's a stock Miata tank from 2009 or so. No foam. There was a little bit of dirt in the tank that I cleaned up when I removed the hydramat, but not much. At least no anywhere close to my rusty 40 year old datsun tank.

 

Maybe it's just dirt from outside? During a race there is really no concept of keeping jugs clean.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, turbogrill said:

I didn't install it, but a "professional" did. Was the tank clean? No clue :)

 

It's a stock Miata tank from 2009 or so. No foam. There was a little bit of dirt in the tank that I cleaned up when I removed the hydramat, but not much. At least no anywhere close to my rusty 40 year old datsun tank.

 

Maybe it's just dirt from outside? During a race there is really no concept of keeping jugs clean.

That is alot of very fine dirt from something coming apart IMO.  I could see a little bit of dirt, but that's covering every bit of that pickup. You really should look into finding out where that's coming from. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Could those tiny black things be coal from the canister?

 

Or maybe the hose from hydramat to pump? Maybe the installer used a non fuel hose?

 

hmm....now you made me worried :)

 

Or maybe it's you guys putting sand in my gas tank so I won't dominate....(it is working...not domination yet)

Edited by turbogrill
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, turbogrill said:

Maybe it's just dirt from outside? During a race there is really no concept of keeping jugs clean.

Fuel gets handled a lot in this series, from the gas station to a jug, transfer to another, then hastily poured in the car…then refill the pour jug. Our fuel filter gets changed every 4 to 5000 miles, one season, and it is absolutely filthy.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

Fuel gets handled a lot in this series, from the gas station to a jug, transfer to another, then hastily poured in the car…then refill the pour jug. Our fuel filter gets changed every 4 to 5000 miles, one season, and it is absolutely filthy.

 

Ours gets replaced every race. Its and $8.00 OEM filter and takes me about 10 minutes. I cut one open after a season and it was awful.

 

We had a mat in a cell for 3 years 9 full weekends, plus probably a dozen track/practice days and it didn't look anything like that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Technical Advisory Committee
2 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

Fuel gets handled a lot in this series, from the gas station to a jug, transfer to another, then hastily poured in the car…then refill the pour jug. Our fuel filter gets changed every 4 to 5000 miles, one season, and it is absolutely filthy.

 

2 minutes ago, Gkuhn41 said:

 

Ours gets replaced every race. Its and $8.00 OEM filter and takes me about 10 minutes. I cut one open after a season and it was awful.

 

We had a mat in a cell for 3 years 9 full weekends, plus probably a dozen track/practice days and it didn't look anything like that.



I better change my fuel filter, I haven't changed it since 2016! 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

Fuel gets handled a lot in this series, from the gas station to a jug, transfer to another, then hastily poured in the car…then refill the pour jug. Our fuel filter gets changed every 4 to 5000 miles, one season, and it is absolutely filthy.

I have learned my lesson on fuel filters......but that hydramat looks like some little kids were filling your tank when you were not looking - with dirt......

 

And Discovery has some sizes of hydramats so take advantage of the 10% savings and get a new one.  Maybe they can order the size you need.

 

Edited by Todd K
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...