Carbon Helmets

Last fall I was asked to be on standby for another driver whos wife was expecting at a local short track.

The guy who normally drives ended up making the race just in time. He had a carbon helmet and we got to talking about them the extra weight in a midget strained his neck and he found the carbon one much better. Plus less weight = safer in an accident.

Got me thinking of upgrading. 

Anyone have one? Anyone have advice or input on it?

I can’t answer the question, but I had the same thought recently and here is where I landed:

I once drove a formula car the better part of a day as part of an advanced racing school.  My neck was SORE from holding my head up against the forces.  In contrast, I can’t remember the last time I had a sore neck after a CC race.  So the conclusion I drew was that I didn’t need a carbon helmet  given the type of car and type of track I am driving. 

I drove Formula Atlantic cars and you need a certain helmet with duck bills to steady your head.  Also your head is not in the air stream if your positioned properly.  My guess is that being a school car your head was slightly higher than usual.

Bell makes a carbon helmet that is super lite and is very easy on your neck, and yes it does make a difference.

I have a carbon Pyrotect forced air model. It’s not an SA2020. It’s not dramatically lighter than the Bell I had. A top of the line schubreth or stilo May be more dramatic. HANS device and halo seats help reduce the movement and strain on your neck. A good fitting helmet is the first thing to look for and the other features are a matter of your budget 

17 hours ago, TimS said:

A good fitting helmet is the first thing to look for and the other features are a matter of your budget 

You definitely need to go to the store (not buy online).  I had a slightly tight helmet for years. I just got my new one - it is a world of difference.  Take your balaclava and earbuds and put it all on and wear it around the store for at least 15 minutes.  The balaclava, no matter how thin, affects the fit.  And take whatever glasses you may consider wearing. 

Edited by Racer28173
  • Like 3

I'll add, don't be so concerned about the construction material, focus on the weight (after fitment/comfort, that should always come first). I upgraded to a Bell RS7 standard helmet last year (they make a full carbon version) and my new Bell is actually lighter than some of the lower cost carbon helmets out there. It also has a smaller shell than a lot of helmets (for my size) and has a really nice dual-layer visor that seems to avoid fogging up really well, but that's not really on topic. My upgrade was from a basic Zamp helmet, that while comfortable and in budget when I first bought a helmet (for autocross), was hefty. I don't know how much of it was mental, but I swear I can notice less fatigue at the end of a 2hr stint

• Like 2

When I switched from Rally to endurance, I found that the increased weight of the full face helmet did cause some neck strain, so I bought a Kevlar helmet that was lighter than most traditional helmets.  When I wrecked big at RA I sent it in and chose to replace it with the even lighter carbon version.  Very happy with that choice.

Not all carbon helmets are created equal.  Some are just wrapped in carbon, or are CRP, and weight as much as an old school helmet.  Check the actual weights.

• Like 2