Rear and Side window material

jmabarone

I sent a message to the Tech Help desk and haven't gotten a response (might have gotten missed, not complaining), but I thought I might ask for other peoples' experiences.  

Per the rule book, the required material for rear and side windows is clear polycarbonate material, 1/8" thickness minimum.  Since the Rony, Lexan is stupid expensive now and I can't get any at a Lowes or Home Depot within 100 miles right now.  

So, my question is this:  is strictly polycarbonate material required, or can an acrylic plastic be used?  Same thickness, same strapping, blah blah blah.  

EDIT:  I know the highs and lows of each material, I am merely asking of legality.  

Thanks,
Jake

Edited by jmabarone

On the windshield there is a note that acrylic is specifically prohibited, but the side and rear windows don’t have this note. I suspect that tech will default to not allowing acrylic since the rule only says polycarbonate, and acrylic is significantly less safe since it can fracture.

3 minutes ago, mhr650 said:

On the windshield there is a note that acrylic is specifically prohibited, but the side and rear windows don’t have this note. I suspect that tech will default to not allowing acrylic since the rule only says polycarbonate, and acrylic is significantly less safe since it can fracture.

Yeah, that is exactly how I was reading it.  

Looks like I will be sourcing some Makrolon  Lexan plexiglas...polycarbonate 

• Haha 1

When I did my hatch and rear windows, I bought a full sheet from a local sigh shop, cheaper than online and no shipping.

If I had it to do over again, I wouldn’t use any plastic for the rear quarter windows, I would just weld some thin sheet metal over them and call it repurposed. when you have a driver strapped in with a HANS the rear quarter windows are completely useless. And since I have my fuel filler in the quarter window, I discovered that while polycarbonate is strong and tough, it is not fuel resistant, I had to cut a big patch out and replace it with metal.

• Technical Advisory Committee

Rules:

image.png.4ead60f242ac759b11c9a29850b229a9.png

image.png.7c83bcf12de1f67d6237fb262ce4bc0c.png

No, acrylic is not approved for the rear window, as that would be directly in violation of rule 9.3.2, unless I am misunderstanding something?

You should call local sign shops, last time I bought a full sheet (5x10) for $125

Edited by Chris Huggins

27 minutes ago, Chris Huggins said:

Rules:

image.png.4ead60f242ac759b11c9a29850b229a9.png

image.png.7c83bcf12de1f67d6237fb262ce4bc0c.png

No, acrylic is not approved for the rear window, as that would be directly in violation of rule 9.3.2, unless I am misunderstanding something?

You should call local sign shops, last time I bought a full sheet (5x10) for $125

Thanks Chris.  Like Mike, the specifics regarding NOT using acrylic for the windshield but not for the rear windows made me question if it was an oversight or just copied language that was somewhat vague. 

Here is another tip for you. If you have 2 stock back glasses, you can sandwich the polycarbonate between them and use heat to form it to shape. In my case since I use my turkey fryer, I guess that makes me a redneck…..

IMG_20150530_193158.jpg.b49184a8bf8b3fe95e0680739c3bb140.jpg

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Chris Huggins said:

Strictly speaking, 9.3.2 does not disallow acrylic, it only states that it wouldn't be free.  That said, I assume Tech would (justifiably) throw you out on your head if you ask for a value.

• Technical Advisory Committee
22 minutes ago, Grufton said:

Strictly speaking, 9.3.2 does not disallow acrylic, it only states that it wouldn't be free.  That said, I assume Tech would (justifiably) throw you out on your head if you ask for a value.

Thats a good point, I will take that feedback back for 2023.

5 hours ago, Grufton said:

Sure it's pretty clear that ONLY polycarbonate is allowed.

11 hours ago, DEE DEE said:

Sure it's pretty clear that ONLY polycarbonate is allowed.

No, it states that only clear polycarbonate material is allowed at no value-add.  I'm not trying to rules lawyer here (I just want to get through tech and race without wasting money) but there is enough cloudiness in that rules language that a few other people in this thread have agreed with it...and a few more have disagreed with that reading.  

9.3.4 states that we can use any plastic to replace the rear window in specific situations.  

I agree on the merits of Polycarbonate vs. acrylic, merely trying to get what I could find readily and at a reasonable cost.  Found a new source, so I ordered my polycarbonate material last night.  

Thanks for the help and the notes Chris!  Good to see you guys are working to keep refining the rules.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chris Huggins said:

Delete the word “polycarbonate” and replace with “non-oe”?

Polycarbonate is fine. 

Straps to secure the window to the  "chassis or roll cage"  My car falls outside this rule, my window is secured to the body.  I would say it's nearly impossible to secure the straps to the chassis or roll cage in any car.