2022 Daytona 14-Hour race Results and Images

• Administrators

Just trying to get ahead of the busy weekend curve. - Bill

Race Results - Congratulations Danger Racing! Winner of the 10th annual Daytona 14-hour and the winner of the Alarm.com prize package 2x Flex IO.

Official Results

https://speedhive.mylaps.com/Events/1962418

Top 10

1    464 Danger Racing 1997 Lexus SC300 (Red)
2    804 Team London 1989 BMW e34 535i (white) 
3    250 Rotary Rocketeers 1990 Mazda RX7 (Red)
4    3      Marathon Coach Motorsports - TLM Racing 2000 BMW 325I (WHITE/RED)
5    66   Team Jacky Ickx 97 Mitsubishi 3000GT (Blue/Orange
6    309  Wee Bee Racing 1987 BMW 325 iS (White) 
7    981  900 Racing 1999 Mazda Miata (Black)
8    51  Floridiot Motorsports 1985 Porsche 944 (Silver / Orange)
9    990   Blue Steel 1999 Mazda Miata (Blue) 
10   263  legacy auto sports 2000 Mazda Miata (Blue/black)

Image Dumps

Friday - Bill Strong

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pbCzXtqEtX9TFtUt5

Saturday Race Day - Bill Strong 
https://photos.app.goo.gl/4cZm3pdW97NDkG7p6

Race Day - FastCarPhotos
https://fastcarphotos.com/galleries/2022-events/2022-champcar-daytona-14-hour/

ChampCar Approved Photographers

Photo Vest authorized - Daytona

Bill Strong - ChampCar
Jonathan Usha - Sports Car Illustrated
Michael Beckers - Sports Car Illustrated
Chris Green - MotorSportMedia
Kurt Roussell - FastCarPhotos
Tyler Barban - CU Boulder Racing Team
Lyndon Fox - www.motorimages.com
Thomas Murray - www.motorimages.com
Kevin Collier -www.motorimages.com
Mark Matson - www.motorimages.com
Dave Green -www.motorimages.com

• Like 1

Gbu laps were messed up.  Looks like a more reasonable 207 now.  Still fast (3 seconds faster than last year).  Only about 6 seconds faster than the next fastest.

Danger racing doing great at this point!

• Like 1

Just to update y’all on our fire.  Eddie Moran here.  I was very happy to get a seat with the USS Enterprise.   It’s big and FAST, handles very well and has a great owner and current driver.  

6-7 laps into first stint.  Getting the feel for the atomic powered carrier.  Fast, great brakes, neutral both l n r.  Playing w the shark.  Could pass her but still getting the “feel”.  The “Big Shark” is a car w great drivers and an ok owner (lol)  but she is so consistent and a good car to play with.  

Enter turn 3….. Enterprise starts chugging (you know, chugging) but still fast.  Turn one, something might be amiss (Marine pilot so dunno).   Infield..ok.  Turn 6, great acceleration but once up on the bank I smell n see some smoke.  Slow down, go to flats, look over and there is a fire on the bottom of pax door.  Huh, not good. So think I might coast around to pits.  Small fire but now no thrust.  Pull off but stay on pavement thinking don’t want to start a grass fire.  Stop…smoke get more interesting.  Get out (always practice doing this quickly lol).   Run over to right side n wave n point to fire as cars drive by.  Two drivers stopped in front of me (red flag or possible BBQ?)

Run back to left side as fire guys got there.  Then massive flames from wheel wells, hood n whatever.  They did their thing, I went n deployed the fire bottle.  Boom…. That bitch put out some serious stuff n the fire, along with the fire guys…flames were out.  Ambulance ride back to garage.  ER nurse in ambulance was not a hottie (most ER experiences they were) but a nice guy.  

Still don’t know cause or damage. 

Thank you emergency response guys n my owner for letting me drive a VERY fast and responsive 1972 LTD.  

I had landed on the real Enterprise in the early 80’s.  But this was much more fun!!!  

• Like 3

Two words: Total disaster. 

We felt really good about our car coming from AZ. Everything going great. Once we unloaded... Wow... car suddenly was "no start" we think it is a starter, go buy one while the tech line went from quick to LONG. Get the new starter in, still no start. Start diagnosing, find the connector from the kill switch to the started sheared. Fix the cable. Fires up, go to tech.

Several hours to get through the link, tech for us went quick. During the wait Dana came around and apologized for the delay and said some teams were showing up nowhere near prepared to tech. 

After tech, spirits were high and we felt things were good. Show up Saturday, our transponder went from 100% to 0% and refused to charge. Went and rented one. Battery light comes on rolling out to pit lane. 

After driver meeting, no start, manage to get a jump pack on it to get back into the garages. Start troubleshooting. Swap starters again. The alternator was putting out the voltage, but not getting back to the battery. Start checking everything. After several hours determine the cable from the alternator to the starter was grounding out. Setup a fix. We are in business. Live stream setup was working, but I forgot to hit publish, but at least get some video. The Garmin decided suddenly to not detect going over 25 mph and never recorded. 

Got out on a yellow flag. Goes green a couple laps later. Car spins in front of me in the bus stop. Start getting up to speed some. About 30 minutes of track time. Then suddenly car gets super loose. Test it through another couple turns and something feels off. Suddenly temp spikes hard. Lots of white smoke. Pull off. As I am pulling off car loses power.

Flat tow to garage. Radiator hose came off. Cranks "too easy". No start. Compression test... Highest is 70psi, lowest 45psi. Yeah... We're done. Push car onto trailer, puddle of oil under car. Yep... 

Total, complete crap weekend. Time to get a new motor when we get back to Phoenix.

• Sad 16

9 hours ago, mender said:

It's the drivers or the pit stop strategy or the teamwork or ...

Hmm; maybe it's the car!

I'll assume you are talking about the big tank SC300 that was 2 laps in front of the Vette when they retired the C3 due to the rain.

*The SC went 2 hours on fuel. Not so many others can in the dry it seems.

30 minutes ago, Bandit said:

I'll assume you are talking about the big tank SC300 that was 2 laps in front of the Vette when they retired the C3 due to the rain.

*The SC went 2 hours on fuel. Not so many others can in the dry it seems.

Perhaps someone can chime in about the vette, I was watching off and on and paying only some attention to the laps on race monitor... anyway, from what I saw the Vette had half a dozen phony laps (like they were pitted next to the timing loop) and also had some long laps like they were doing repairs. Basically if anyone knows their actual position in the race (was it near the top?) that would be great.

Edited by enginerd

10 minutes ago, enginerd said:

Perhaps someone can chime in about the vette, I was watching off and on and paying only some attention to the laps on race monitor... anyway, from what I saw the Vette had half a dozen phony laps (like they were pitted next to the timing loop) and also had some long laps like they were doing repairs. Basically if anyone knows their actual position in the race (was it near the top?) that would be great.

From what I saw the timing issues weren't limited to the Vette unless 3/4's of the field took laps at the start. Saying that, at one point GBU jumped to 11 laps in the lead, and like you say there were a number of 38 and 52 second type laps, so who knows if racehero is accurate at all. When they retired they were in second or third according to racehero. On the stream they have said they don't have the same info they have in the tower, only what we see online.

*I don't see how the Vette could possibly have a cell as big as allowed for that chassis as they pitted at 1:45.

Edited by Bandit
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, lizzard said:

Just to update y’all on our fire.  Eddie Moran here.  I was very happy to get a seat with the USS Enterprise.   It’s big and FAST, handles very well and has a great owner and current driver.  

6-7 laps into first stint.  Getting the feel for the atomic powered carrier.  Fast, great brakes, neutral both l n r.  Playing w the shark.  Could pass her but still getting the “feel”.  The “Big Shark” is a car w great drivers and an ok owner (lol)  but she is so consistent and a good car to play with.  

Enter turn 3….. Enterprise starts chugging (you know, chugging) but still fast.  Turn one, something might be amiss (Marine pilot so dunno).   Infield..ok.  Turn 6, great acceleration but once up on the bank I smell n see some smoke.  Slow down, go to flats, look over and there is a fire on the bottom of pax door.  Huh, not good. So think I might coast around to pits.  Small fire but now no thrust.  Pull off but stay on pavement thinking don’t want to start a grass fire.  Stop…smoke get more interesting.  Get out (always practice doing this quickly lol).   Run over to right side n wave n point to fire as cars drive by.  Two drivers stopped in front of me (red flag or possible BBQ?)

Run back to left side as fire guys got there.  Then massive flames from wheel wells, hood n whatever.  They did their thing, I went n deployed the fire bottle.  Boom…. That bitch put out some serious stuff n the fire, along with the fire guys…flames were out.  Ambulance ride back to garage.  ER nurse in ambulance was not a hottie (most ER experiences they were) but a nice guy.  

Still don’t know cause or damage. 

Thank you emergency response guys n my owner for letting me drive a VERY fast and responsive 1972 LTD.  

I had landed on the real Enterprise in the early 80’s.  But this was much more fun!!!  

@lizzard, I think your issue started around T1 braking area. I was at pit out and saw flames under the car as you were slowing. Centerline just in front of the driver. I thought it was maybe exhaust had come apart, but you never made it back around… I had radio’ed to Thomas for him to look as well. 

1 hour ago, Fetterhund said:

Two words: Total disaster. 

We felt really good about our car coming from AZ. Everything going great. Once we unloaded... Wow... car suddenly was "no start" we think it is a starter, go buy one while the tech line went from quick to LONG. Get the new starter in, still no start. Start diagnosing, find the connector from the kill switch to the started sheared. Fix the cable. Fires up, go to tech.

Several hours to get through the link, tech for us went quick. During the wait Dana came around and apologized for the delay and said some teams were showing up nowhere near prepared to tech. 

After tech, spirits were high and we felt things were good. Show up Saturday, our transponder went from 100% to 0% and refused to charge. Went and rented one. Battery light comes on rolling out to pit lane. 

After driver meeting, no start, manage to get a jump pack on it to get back into the garages. Start troubleshooting. Swap starters again. The alternator was putting out the voltage, but not getting back to the battery. Start checking everything. After several hours determine the cable from the alternator to the starter was grounding out. Setup a fix. We are in business. Live stream setup was working, but I forgot to hit publish, but at least get some video. The Garmin decided suddenly to not detect going over 25 mph and never recorded. 

Got out on a yellow flag. Goes green a couple laps later. Car spins in front of me in the bus stop. Start getting up to speed some. About 30 minutes of track time. Then suddenly car gets super loose. Test it through another couple turns and something feels off. Suddenly temp spikes hard. Lots of white smoke. Pull off. As I am pulling off car loses power.

Flat tow to garage. Radiator hose came off. Cranks "too easy". No start. Compression test... Highest is 70psi, lowest 45psi. Yeah... We're done. Push car onto trailer, puddle of oil under car. Yep... 

Total, complete crap weekend. Time to get a new motor when we get back to Phoenix.

So sorry man 😔 was watching on race hero hoping to see some more laps from your car... Sounds like the worst outcome short of a crash. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Max said:

So sorry man 😔 was watching on race hero hoping to see some more laps from your car... Sounds like the worst outcome short of a crash. 

Yeah it was a really rough day. But, we'll be back, and will probably have to do Daytona again and come kick it's butt.

• Like 7

Just now, Bandit said:

A Miata just went 127. Probably want more top end than 130 at Daytona.

Yep.  That's why I haven't taken the car.  I'd love to race there, and I think the laptime would be good.  However, bouncing off the Rev limiter for several seconds every lap probably wouldn't work.