ST43 alternative?

B-Rad

For the most part, we've been very pleased with the ST43 pads on our E36. But we've run into some issues with the rear pads chunking and the front pads separating from the backing plates. Raybestos has been "looking into it" for awhile now and not providing any answers.

We run the stock brakes without ABS.

Brake cooling

Frozen rotors

RS4 tires

Proportioning valve

We really like the longevity of the wear material and the brake feel is adequate.

What do you recommend?

Edited by B-Rad

• Technical Advisory Committee

We've always bought Hawk Blues (which we've been told are old tech) from series sponsor Frozen Rotors, Mark Link.

Since they are NLA for the Focus SVT, Mark recommended the Porterfield R4 compound. We ran them at Mid Ohio without any issues. The modulation was a bit better than the Blues, and they advertise that these are the most rotor friendly compound out there.

I appreciate their advice at FR, as they have never tried to push their rotors as something I need, instead saying they shouldn't be necessary with the mass of the OEM pieces on the SVT. Their other advice was to use high carbon alloy rotors.  

Each application may be different. I see you've got Frozen Rotors on your car, I'd see what they recommend, if you haven't done so already.

Edited by mcoppola
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We run ST-43 usually and have ran ST-45 in a pinch. I'd like to try the new Hawk ER-1 at some point. 

As for the pads coming apart, I did run into that some in the past but it seems like the brake ducts we added to the front have helped the condition. 

• Thanks 1

Years ago keeping pads and rotors on our E36 for one race was a challenge. Added cooling ducts from front bumper to rotors and what a difference. Use Hawk DTC 70 front, DTC 60 rears with stock Textar rotors and can usually get two full events out of pads. Swap out rotors maybe every other time.  Drivers heavily influence brake life. 

Have been wondering how the new Hawk endurance pads will work. Please post results if you try them. 

20 minutes ago, misshift said:

Years ago keeping pads and rotors on our E36 for one race was a challenge. Added cooling ducts from front bumper to rotors and what a difference. Use Hawk DTC 70 front, DTC 60 rears with stock Textar rotors and can usually get two full events out of pads. Swap out rotors maybe every other time.  Drivers heavily influence brake life. 

Have been wondering how the new Hawk endurance pads will work. Please post results if you try them. 

When you say 2 full events, you mean 28+ hours of time on those Hawk pads?

18 hours ago, mcoppola said:

We've always bought Hawk Blues (which we've been told are old tech) from series sponsor Frozen Rotors, Mark Link.

Since they are NLA for the Focus SVT, Mark recommended the Porterfield R4 compound. We ran them at Mid Ohio without any issues. The modulation was a bit better than the Blues, and they advertise that these are the most rotor friendly compound out there.

I appreciate their advice at FR, as they have never tried to push their rotors as something I need, instead saying they shouldn't be necessary with the mass of the OEM pieces on the SVT. Their other advice was to use high carbon alloy rotors.  

Each application may be different. I see you've got Frozen Rotors on your car, I'd see what they recommend, if you haven't done so already.

We were on Hawk Blues then switched to the Raybestos ST43's and what a difference. Much better modulation. We do use Frozen Rotors and they easily last 8 races plus test sessions. Frozen Rotors were able to get the ST 43's not sure how the supply is now.

• Like 1

I managed to snag a set of er-1 in 7420 shape for my e30 bbk  (provided by KNS Brakes).  

I will be testing at CMP and comparing against st43 which is my normal compound.

Edited by Chris Huggins
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Chris Huggins said:

I managed to snag a set of er-1 in 7420 shape for my e30 bbk  (provided by KNS Brakes).  

I will be testing at CMP and comparing against st43 which is my normal compound.

Very nice. I'd love to hear some feedback once you have an idea of the wear rate. 

I did reach out to Frozen Rotors. Mark recommended the PFC 08. 

The Hawk offerings from FCP Euro are tempting (for reasons obvious to people who shop there). But I'm not sure that a race weekend is the time to run an experiment on those compounds. 

Edited by B-Rad

21 minutes ago, B-Rad said:

Very nice. I'd love to hear some feedback once you have an idea of the wear rate. 

I did reach out to Frozen Rotors. Mark recommended the PFC 08. 

The Hawk offerings from FCP Euro are tempting (for reasons obvious to people who shop there). But I'm not sure that a race weekend is the time to run an experiment on those compounds. 

Pf08 is an excellent compound and I ran those in the front on oe brakes and got 12 hours or so out of a set.  I get 30+ from st43 on oe brakes.

in still run pf08 in the rear, and if I could get them to make pf08 in 7420 shape I would run them on the front with my bbk.

• Like 2

Mentioned in the thread twice already: PFC08 is a very good solution. This is my 6th season in ChampCar with my E36 and PCF08's have never done us wrong. We used to do a bit of brake biasing via compound, running PFC08's in the front and Hawk DTC 60's in the rear, as this would allow for more effective work to be done by the rears. After the VIR 12hr last month, there was half of the PFC08's remaining in the front and the Hawk DTC 60's were on the backing plates for the last stint and a half. From my team's data, running the PFC08's will get us about 24hrs, drivers and conditions depending.

ClappedOutRacingBrakesHot.jpg

• Thanks 1