Helmet Blower

• Technical Advisory Committee

I want one.  I think this will help with keeping fresh through a long stint.

Anyone have experience with these?

Is it helpful even without any additional "cooling" via the ice box?  I don't have the budget for a $500 ice box intercooler but maybe I can make a cheaper version

Is there a way of routing the hoses thats helpful to keep water from ingressing and coming through the helmet?  

Do I need to find some kind of filter for dust or grass or something?

How do you attach the 1.5" hose to the car/seat so its easy to hook up during a driver swap?  

This is whats in my cart @DiscoveryParts  Am I missing something?

image.png.d18a069e039f58dd2afc01663b65929c.png

I plan on cutting the 8' hose in half and using 4' in each car.

I already have two of these:

image.png.f9f29dc9a50c7ba5bd7398387e40bd1a.png

and some left over 3" brake duct hose:

image.png.01f2db2ef55dc47630d02a8ad3db298e.png

I have 1 of these in each car's rear 1/4 window already.  I'd like to add another as the first supplys air for cabin circulation and I don't want to lose that incase someone doesn't have helmet cooling capability.

image.png.6ce28f88605e6ceb8a9869a6adab3f20.png

The bccr may prevent me from this?  

image.png.b23bd8ad8d63b7b38544a0b6bf398a60.png

I have this laying around, but I think its not allowed.  

image.png.7fbffbd0fd65114636d457ecf9148c02.png

Per vehicle side applies to naca ducts or only to 3" holes?   Can I put a naca duct in the roof or bodywork instead?  I would prefer to have both on the same side (the side away from my fuel vent) instead of one on each side.   

I don't think this is an enforced rule since i've seen these 2x naca ducts before on other cars - maybe I can get that part of the rules changed if its not important?

• Like 1

I use the single clear NACA duct in drivers rear quarter window. I use the centrifugal type fan as it’s quieter. Mine is a generic Jabsco 3” fan. I had one of the in-line systems and it was very loud so I had tubing and adapters. I would by one of the Allstar units with a filter. I won’t race without it. Mount fan lower than your helmet and make sure water can drain out and your good. 
I bought this first(cheapest kit)

https://coolshirt.com/product/air-blower-system-complete/

Too loud. Then bought this type blower

https://www.ebay.com/itm/263895233844?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=263895233844&targetid=1263094003346&device=m&mktype=pla&googleloc=1021048&poi=&campaignid=16190447015&mkgroupid=128435277530&rlsatarget=aud-1480434320868:pla-1263094003346&abcId=9300820&merchantid=113685061&gclid=CjwKCAjwjZmTBhB4EiwAynRmDxlr03Ij5S0GsTj_3QM1mgdgqc0rdrItbNLnQJNbgZARdLkWfvX5sBoCWtkQAvD_BwE

Edited by TimS

I did modify my cool suit cooler for a helmet cooler and bought some extra tubing for the helmet but I have not had a chance to use it yet. In fact I have not used my cool shirt yet either. Helmet blower works great 

We have that setup in our car. Mike and Michael use it almost every stint. NACA in side window to fan to helmet. One issue they've had is getting the hose on the helmet to not impede movement. Think they've got it worked out by using some PVC to keep it lined up and they also taped the hose so ridges weren't binding on the PVC.

I'm seriously thinking about doing it. Just need to find a helmet duct.

• Like 1

We used the cheap 3” fan almost exactly like you have.   I had a small droop just after the naca duct and put a small hole in the bottom of the hose to allow water out. Worked perfect.  

I have a Bell helmet and it worked great.  My dad has a stilo and he found that you could barely feel the fresh air coming in. The Stilo also has the duct coming out almost too far back and it can push the hose into the seat.  He has the oval outlet (couldn’t get the round one you’ve got shown at the time) and I 3D printed an angled adapter to get the hose up over the seat.  

• Like 1

I had the same experience, it's nice to have when it's working, routing the hose from the helmet is harder than you would expect.

It can be pretty annoying if you feel the hose dragging on something when you move your head.

It's also pretty much impossible to hook up the hose by yourself. 

Edited by ABR-Glen
  • Like 1

We have what you are planning on making. 

We also made a cool suit/helmet cooler in one. Some PVC pipe in and out a coil of copper tubing through the PVC All inside a cooler. Pump water through the copper, air is cooled by that blah blah.

It cooled ambient air 18* on its way through on a 90* day. Problem is it blew through ice in like 30 minutes using it 50% of the time.

Air helps a lot, to the point we feel like crap if we don't have it hooked up. We simply put loose zip ties around the cage just behind the seat and it hangs next to the seat for easy hookup. Allows the hose to slide through if needed but the ridges keep it in place most the time.

We don't like the Atwood fan because its loud. now that @TimS has made a second recommendation I will be picking one of those up and trying them as well.

• Like 2

The Parker pumper is used on off road vehicles and is usually mounted outside the cabin so fresh air isn’t an issue. In a closed cockpit I like to bring air from outside the cabin, not that it’s any “fresher” it’s just cooler most times. I have seen adapters to add a hose to the intake. I would like a filter or screen on mine.

I use a Pyrotect helmet with the air connector on the top of my head. Seems to work best with our seat. 

19 minutes ago, TimS said:

The Parker pumper is used on off road vehicles and is usually mounted outside the cabin so fresh air isn’t an issue. In a closed cockpit I like to bring air from outside the cabin, not that it’s any “fresher” it’s just cooler most times. I have seen adapters to add a hose to the intake. I would like a filter or screen on mine.

I use a Pyrotect helmet with the air connector on the top of my head. Seems to work best with our seat. 

Just giving huggy options. FYI- It can be mounted anywhere. Huggy if you have any questions reach out to me, I have run them in lots of different race vehicles.

• Like 1

image.png.268d59f9056cd7c8fa2bc85e0fa3bbfb.png

4.7.2 says free

The purpose of 9.3.5 is unclear to me. But if you were to put the Naca duct in the body work that is legit legal. Def worth petitioning 9.3.5 to get it fixed or removed. I will if you dont want to. 

I have wanted a helmet blower setup forever. I have a bunch of poop to do it but it's an integration nightmare. The Datsuns have notorious issues with engine fumes and this would solve that. My biggest issue is Stillo's side feed tube is tiny. Piping a 3 inch hose to a 1 inch dia feels stupid. I look forward to seeing your solution and copying it 

Edited by Jamie

I have used my setup on a couple stilo helmets and a Roux that has the oval connection on the helmet. With my co drivers. The adapter tends to deform to the oval fine. 3” to 1 1/4” tube then 1 1/4” to 1” at the helmet. The side feed works too just depends on seat and car layout. Try it you will never go without. Let’s me keep shield down but can dry out your mouth. I use a longacre drink bottle with bite tube for some hydration. I look forward to using my cool shirt in the future. 

Edited by TimS

• Technical Advisory Committee

When you say the attwood blower is loud..  isnt this in a race car?  Isnt everything loud?  Or is the fact its blowing into the helmet making it specifically louder than the car around you?

I wonder what the thermal capacity requirement would need to be to supply a helmet cooler with enough ice to last a full stint.  I'm thinking a small radiator with a fan blowing through it and a small water pump.

That parker thing looks nice but basically triples my budget.  First world problems and all but whatever I come up with I need to make 4x to support all the cars I race regularly...

Other than the stilo attachment and hose adapter I think I can 3d print or fabricate everything else.  I've gotten rid of having to buy that $30 3" to 1.5" adapter with a 3d print, found a cheaper hose, etc.

Edited by Chris Huggins
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris Huggins said:

When you say the attwood blower is loud..  isnt this in a race car?  Isnt everything loud?  Or is the fact its blowing into the helmet making it specifically louder than the car around you?

I wonder what the thermal capacity requirement would need to be to supply a helmet cooler with enough ice to last a full stint.  I'm thinking a small radiator with a fan blowing through it and a small water pump.

That parker thing looks nice but basically triples my budget.  First world problems and all but whatever I come up with I need to make 4x to support all the cars I race regularly...

Other than the stilo attachment and hose adapter I think I can 3d print or fabricate everything else.  I've gotten rid of having to buy that $30 3" to 1.5" adapter with a 3d print, found a cheaper hose, etc.

The blower motor/fan transfers the noise through the hose to the helmet. My cheep “Atwood” fan that can with my kit was deafening. 
the 3x1.5” adapter that came with my cheep kit was vinyl or flexible plastic. I believe they are normally used in dust collection systems. I have seen them available in kits for dust collectors. The hose I found to extend my setup for the cooler is normally sold for dust collection vacuums. You can find bulk rolls to reduce costs. Fan itself is the most expensive part. A good one is $115-125. 

I can find the in-line fan I have and you can try it out. 

Tubing

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283421795917

I’ll get a couple pics of my cool suit cooler and blower setup 

Edited by TimS

9 hours ago, MMiskoe said:

Just curious that if you had a bit of a scoop on the NACA duct you wouldn't get enough forced air to make it work without the fan?

It may work as is. I have never tried it. NACA duct should not need a scoop but I have not tried it.  

When I had cooled air, done via a water to air intercooler, ice usage increased dramatically. It was almost too good at cooling the air, and hence used a lot of ice. The ChillOut System can't run the helmet cooler plus the driver shirt, doesn't even have close to enough capacity. So I'm back to fresh air only, but that in itself is wonderful compared to nothing at all.

I have my fan mounted on the roll cage at the B pillar passenger window opening, so no NACA duct or tubing on the intake side. 

• Like 1

On 4/27/2022 at 2:11 PM, Chris Huggins said:

If your concern is portability for yourself among 4 different cars...there is the helmet mounted approach.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Tru-Air-Mini-Pumper-Racing-Helmet-Pump-Blower-Breather,2505.html

Adding weight to the helmet isn't a great idea, but all these ideas do that to some extent.

I have a 3D scan of my stilo somewhere if you want to 3D print a hose adapter. That's a project I haven't gotten around to, maybe we can pool resources.