Jump to content

Coolant re-route


Special K
 Share

Recommended Posts

Am I the only one that thinks is a little ridiculous? Points if you buy a well engineered kit, sure to do the job and increase reliability. Free if you concoct some sort of breakfast machine type thing out of "existing parts." Now, maybe it's just my small monkey brain, but what's the point of nickel and dimimg points, then providing a work around to accomplish the EXACT SAME objective? Why not just make the thing free or assign points instead of trying to do both? Or is opening this can of worms going to give everyone flashbacks to The Great Window Net Debate that wasn't even enforced at Road Atlanta this year........

 

Screenshot_20220906-110917_Chrome.jpg.af4d1998f907feeb7e15344d7b4963fb.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Technical Advisory Committee
3 hours ago, Special K said:

Am I the only one that thinks is a little ridiculous? Points if you buy a well engineered kit, sure to do the job and increase reliability. Free if you concoct some sort of breakfast machine type thing out of "existing parts." Now, maybe it's just my small monkey brain, but what's the point of nickel and dimimg points, then providing a work around to accomplish the EXACT SAME objective? Why not just make the thing free or assign points instead of trying to do both? Or is opening this can of worms going to give everyone flashbacks to The Great Window Net Debate that wasn't even enforced at Road Atlanta this year........

 

 

 

Nope, you aren't the only one.  There is another item on the list that is a different price for "homemade" vs "bought" and it really doesn't make sense.

 

Put in a petition and it will get reviewed again - Maybe or Maybe not change the answer but it would put it on the list.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/6/2022 at 11:28 AM, turbogrill said:

image.png.5835c3ddf25e4bd2ed6ea785ba3f933a.png

 

Should be free? Or what is coolant reroute?

A reroute just pushes the water out of the back of the head, then to the radiator rather than in the front and back out the front. Miatas have a problem overheating the number 4 cylinder so a reroute is a step in the direction of saving your engine. It's nothing more than a hose, a block off plate and a junction in the back of the head to direct the water through said hose that returns to the radiator.

On 9/6/2022 at 2:59 PM, Chris Huggins said:

 

Nope, you aren't the only one.  There is another item on the list that is a different price for "homemade" vs "bought" and it really doesn't make sense.

 

Put in a petition and it will get reviewed again - Maybe or Maybe not change the answer but it would put it on the list.

 

 

Will do, thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Special K said:

A reroute just pushes the water out of the back of the head, then to the radiator rather than in the front and back out the front. Miatas have a problem overheating the number 4 cylinder so a reroute is a step in the direction of saving your engine. It's nothing more than a hose, a block off plate and a junction in the back of the head to direct the water through said hose that returns to the radiator.

This sounds a lot like the e30 cooling setup. Normally there is a hose off the rear of the block which goes to the heater core and then returns to the thermostat / radiator. Some teams block it off when removing the heater core, some add a 90* fitting and route a hose straight back to the thermostat housing (this is what I did).

 

I would definitely call this

4.7.2. Items that are point free:

...

• Cooling system hoses and vacuum lines

...

 

Add that hose and the fitting (it doesn't already have a usable fitting there??) for 0 points. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Grufton said:

 

Perhaps I'm off, but I thought the key difference was the miata folks were moving the thermostat to the back of the head also.

You thought right. The doohicky on the back of the head has the thermostat in it. We have the supermiata kit. We'll worth the stupid 5 points I take over the 0 point option of a garden hose, a collection of rusted hose clamps scavenged from the broken office chair that won't stay up and a block off plate made from a poorly cut piece of diamond plate from my cousins OBS F350 he met his 3rd wife in while on vacation in Scottsdale........

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On a Miata this is a very simple process and even moving the stat to the back. You make a small blanking plate for the front and cover the old stat position.

I even tapped the plate for temp sensor which gave a better temp reading and then got hose for added lengths.......so technically 0 points since I had a blanket

amount of aluminum in my points count already.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Bringing this back, because, well, we'll be 505pts in 2023 for this.

 

A few thoughts-

  • We've been claiming 5pts for the kit based on the tech desk article.
  • Tech desk article is 2, soon to be 3 years old. I see the update earlier this year about what constitutes DIY.
  •  How long is a tech desk article valid for?  Forever? <- @Bill Strong
  • Can't find cooling reroutes or similar terminology in the BCCR, or where the BCCR adds weight to the tech desk articles.

Radiators became 0pts since the article and cooling system hoses are 0pts.  I'm not in the "make everything free" camp but I'd like to not claim 5pts just in case anymore.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, WastedAccounts said:

 

This is what I did. You can just swap the to two parts front to back and vise versa. 

Then what do you do with the sensors? Like the 1.6 with the temp / fan sensor in the front housing and the temp sensor in the back housing. You'd have to extend the harness I assume since you can't plug them into the opposite plug because they're different, right? The NB 1.8 only has a rear temp sensor, so do you weld a bung onto the cast pot metal / chinesium front housing when you move it to the back? These issues are why we bought a reroute. Same outcome, but easy and safe (for us). Some of you smarter miata whisperers may be able to pillow talk it into not breaking your heart better than us though so I really am interested in how this works.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, T-PAP said:

Then what do you do with the sensors? Like the 1.6 with the temp / fan sensor in the front housing and the temp sensor in the back housing. You'd have to extend the harness I assume since you can't plug them into the opposite plug because they're different, right? The NB 1.8 only has a rear temp sensor, so do you weld a bung onto the cast pot metal / chinesium front housing when you move it to the back? These issues are why we bought a reroute. Same outcome, but easy and safe (for us). Some of you smarter miata whisperers may be able to pillow talk it into not breaking your heart better than us though so I really am interested in how this works.

 

There's a plug in the back you can pull out and the temp sensor fits in there. It's on the passenger side of the outlet. If you reuse the rear cover

the temp sensor fits in there for the front. I did not use it that way since I signal my fan from my ECU now. 

 

If you really want to sweet talk your miata you should pull all the unneeded wiring out of the factory harness. I got like 17lbs out of mine. 

20221128_112227.jpg

20221128_112245.jpg

Edited by WastedAccounts
missing letters/typos additional comments pictures
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JDChristianson said:

5 points for a coolant reroute.....but bracket racing is dumb????

 

But all cars are capable of competing for the overall win.  Watch out for the F class cars. Class, bracket - big difference there.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, WastedAccounts said:

 

There's a plug in the back you can pull out and the temp sensor fits in there. It's on the passenger side of the outlet. If you reuse the rear cover

the temp sensor fits in there for the front. I did not use it that way since I signal my fan from my ECU now. 

 

If you really want to sweet talk your miata you should pull all the unneeded wiring out of the factory harness. I got like 17lbs out of mine. 

20221128_112227.jpg

20221128_112245.jpg

Oh gotcha. Ok that makes sense now. I've glossed over that plug so many times I forgot it even existed. So then I assume you're capping off the front housing, yes? If so, where is the thermostat going?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...