2022 Pitt Race Race Results and stuff

• Administrators

What a weekend. Thank you to everyone involved, both Champcar and racers. This was my debut race as a team owner, and it certainly came with all the ups and downs you might expect. With the new build, my first priority was getting to the track super early to be a prepared as possible for tech inspection and the afternoon practice sessions.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Tech inspection was incredibly quick and efficient, so compliments to our organizers for really improving that process. The car passed with flying colors, and I was relieved to hit milestone number 1.

The other main event for Friday was the pot luck which did not disappoint. I'd like to suggest we have one of these for every race on the calendar.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The racing on Saturday kicked off well enough as the forecasted rain seemed at least delayed a few hours. Almost immediately into our first stint, new build gremlins surfaced, and we did our best to remedy and get back out there. Somehow despite months of planning and prep, weird little things came out that I could have never predicted. The circuit breaker on our battery cable broke, the wiper relay failed, the fuel pump hanger came loose, etc. My team of drivers stayed positive, and we sorted each issue out as it came. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Unfortunately about half way through the race the rain arrived, and it just continued to intensify. Racing conditions quickly deteriorated, but luckily we had our rally driver in for stint number 3. He was doing quite well moving through the field as the rain really slowed the pace of cars that we blowing our doors off earlier. With about 2 hours to go, conditions were just too dangerous and the red flag came out. By now you've probably seen the video, but a collection of bad circumstances led to our car getting hit on the red flag. Thankfully our driver wasn't hurt, and the damage was not race ending for us. 

spacer.png

The race ended up getting called early which resulted in me not getting to drive Saturday. However, I agree that it was the right decision to make as it was just getting too dangerous out there.

Sunday was a new day, and the track surface dried out really well. With most of our gremlins sorted on Saturday, we were able to run nearly uninterrupted all day Sunday. I was quite happy to just sit in our pit stall and enjoy the day.

spacer.png

The 7 hours went by in a flash, and seeing our car take the checkered flag was a long time dream come true. We stuck around for impound, and the guys from RVA were kind enough to share a ton of great E30 information with me.

spacer.png

All in all an amazing race weekend. I have a mile long list of lessons learned, areas to improve, and things to try. Thanks again to everyone involved for making this experience possible.

-Ben

• Like 12

The RadAir Neon team competed in its first Champ race.PXL_20221002_123034523.jpg.02a41221be910fbd3a65e9f2024096cb.jpg

Past tech on its second try (had to replace bolts holding the fire bottle).

PXL_20220930_172022311.jpg.4870cd739cdf9da7935aa5028333cf26.jpg

Test day went well, with all drivers getting out on track. Then we had the potluck.

PXL_20220930_231001007.jpg.e37090dc03d5e22d483c2d45562a3ec1.jpg

Saturday was un-eventful.

Sunday started..... Not well. We were the cause of the very long pink flag right at the start. The neon decided that it's head gasket was in need of replacement.

PXL_20221002_160126937.jpg.00b4c5939498fec5f0faf9281ae3fb04.jpgPXL_20221002_151139894.jpg.8c7044f8779361772f947339284d7cab.jpgPXL_20221002_151250566.jpg.9387636e216d67eee5e2e789be9f675e.jpg

3 hours later, we were back on track. 1 long pitstop for tires, and plug wires.

And then suddenly no compression 30 minutes before the end of the race.

PXL_20221002_195000280.jpg.80d5263e5f8d423d69ef5be89fecff15.jpg

On to the trailer we went. 

Replacements and upgrades are coming. 

Over all the RadAir Neon team did an amazing job, and had a great time.

PXL_20221002_205619063.jpg.1e74a98317a7e36a803f3619c15fa151.jpg

Thanks to the staff, and all of the amazing teams that came out to Pittrace.

Can't wait to do it all again!

The Chef

Edited by Fitsbain
  • Like 10

While the car has had plenty of pace this year, it seemed like our bad luck streak would never end.  Saturday, we lost both bolts that hold the throttle cable bracket to the intake. Sunday, we were finally able to put the pieces together for an A-class win. We started the race off strong, with our driver driving the car to an overall lead. Unfortunately, we were hit on a restart about 1hr40min into the race and had to change a flat. While this put us out of overall contention, the car ran flawlessly the rest of the day and across the checkers to win A and 5th overall.

Thank you to our drivers: Christian, Ken, Lawson and Alex. Thank you to our crew: Steve, Evan, and Grant.

Here's some video of fast laps chasing RVA:

If you are looking for a top-level rental seat or top-level car prep and service, please reach out to us, we would love to help! Our shop is based in East Windsor, CT.

MBMperformance.com

grant@mbmperformance.com

DON_3120.jpg

Edited by MBMEngineering
  • Like 8

Congratulations to GODS LAST NAME IS NOT DAMNIT RACING #777, @Ray Franck and @Chummy for their B class win on Sunday, not too shabby for the first ChampCar weekend.  Thanks for letting me share the seat guys.  This is a really fun track, I am going back for sure.  Thanks to ChampCar and all the competitors for another safe weekend of racing.  

image.jpeg.326d248ad49d5aa21c515f8c608a355c.jpeg

i-B9zkK4N-X2.jpg

i-KW6wtff-X2.jpg

Edited by Hugh Jass
added pics
  • Like 4

On 10/6/2022 at 4:28 PM, Hugh Jass said:

Congratulations to GODS LAST NAME IS NOT DAMNIT RACING #777, @Ray Franck and @Chummy for their B class win on Sunday, not too shabby for the first ChampCar weekend.  Thanks for letting me share the seat guys.  This is a really fun track, I am going back for sure.  Thanks to ChampCar and all the competitors for another safe weekend of racing.  

image.jpeg.326d248ad49d5aa21c515f8c608a355c.jpeg

i-B9zkK4N-X2.jpg

i-KW6wtff-X2.jpg

Couldn't have done it without you Hugh Jass. Great meeting you and great driving!

Edited by Chummy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I dont post here too often, but we had a great weekend with the Fickle Bitch Porsche 944.  No real issues, just an oil consumption issue that forces us to stop too often.   I know I had some good back and forth with the 120A Miata on the first stint Sunday morning.

12939.jpeg.f26cb116138f3fba3ece417fdebd7122.jpeg12990.jpeg.078f0615f90e208df64c07c4f2474ee3.jpeg20221002_123513.jpg.e5ed54d0c42f981e4d74ecf3e487eb78.jpg20221002_133215.jpg.05df699525a02419086fc6add5f6ada8.jpg

• Like 5

Last weekend had a good mix of weather, strategy choices, and battles on track. Saturday started with me spinning the car on lap 2 in heavy traffic going through turns 3/4. I thought for sure I would have been creamed but kudos to all the evasive maneuvering of the surrounding teams. Sorry for the scare and thanks to everyone who was able to drive around my sudden lack of talent. Our other two drivers (Tony/Adrian) ran great stunts and got the car back to me for the monsoon. I gotta say, that was the sketchiest I have ever felt in a car when that ran got heavy. I’m glad they called the race early and still believe it was the right call.

Sunday we tried a different driver lineup and mid day we found ourselves battling for the class lead and climbing the overall leader board. With 30 or so minutes to go Tony radioed in that the trans was stuck in 4th gear and “not in a happy way”. Apparently every time the throttle was applied the steering wheel would shake so bad it was hard to hold onto. Instructions were given to limp to the checkers and hope and see that we had enough of a lead of class cars chasing us down. We did not. Sorry for the rolling chicane with 20mins to go. 

I personally had a blast running with all of you and can’t wait to get back at it in 2023!

Kevyn KistnerB2293311-ECE8-4372-8690-91CA761CE7A6.jpeg.47dfb8fc0e0fd794b4a2920fb7ccb9ad.jpeg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

This is a late post for the Pitt-Race weekend.

Miskoes where there with our super-yellow Miata and had a decent weekend.  We were lacking in pace to some of the cars and fighting with a brake problem that we didn’t get diagnosed until way too late.  But it was a good weekend overall.

One PSA that I’ll offer after we learned the hard way about – if the wrecker operator wants to use the arms that reach under the car to grab the front wheels – DO NOT LET THEM DO THIS.  When that system on the wrecker is between 4”-6” tall and your splitter is only 2” tall, bad things happen.  What should have been a pretty simple flat tow cost us about $1,000 of aero parts.  We have tow hooks front and back for a reason.

But the main reason for this post is that while we were there, the #692 Honorificabitudinatibus guys came by looking for a clutch disk.  (red Miata with a cartoon woman's face on the hood)  They were having a bad weekend for failing parts and soaked their clutch down in oil.  We dug around in the spares collection and came up with one, handed it off along with an alignment tool and some 1/2-drive ratchet tools.  Later in the weekend the tools arrived back in our trailer.  Clutch was in the car and non-returnable.

Yesterday the mailman came down the driveway yesterday with a parcel, it was not anything I could recall ordering and didn’t recognize the shipping address.  Knowing that Ted Kaczynski is no longer in business we opened it right up to find a clutch disk.  My son Isaac said “oh yeah, you were in the car, they came over and tried to pay me for it but I didn’t know what you wanted or how much it was worth so I gave him our address”.  I’d written it off, after we were home I looked it up and saw it was a $50 item and wasn’t worried about it, was just going to order another to have around (and hand out as needed).

I have no ability to contact these guys so I’ll post it here. 

You didn’t need to return it, I appreciate the effort.  Usually I try to tell people “just pay it forward, when the next guy come asking and you have the part, give it to him.

Hope we’ll see you at the next one.  Hopefully you don’t need parts next.

• Like 14

• Administrators
On 11/6/2022 at 10:19 AM, MMiskoe said:

One PSA that I’ll offer after we learned the hard way about – if the wrecker operator wants to use the arms that reach under the car to grab the front wheels – DO NOT LET THEM DO THIS.  When that system on the wrecker is between 4”-6” tall and your splitter is only 2” tall, bad things happen.  What should have been a pretty simple flat tow cost us about $1,000 of aero parts.  We have tow hooks front and back for a reason.

I had the same issues in the early days of ChumpCar when we first installed our splitter. That does suck. It's a reason I made the splitter mounts so heavy duty, and heavy. But now that guys are buying aero off the shelf, it may be something that needs to be discussed with the race directors and towing dudes. I have passed this post onto the two race directors. Thank you for the heads up.

• Like 1

To be honest, I'm not sure that this system would have cleared the k-member in our car.  I have a hunch that the splitter saved us from having structural damage or a broken oil pan.  It really has no business getting used at the track where cars are substantially lower than most street cars.

Thanks for bringing it up again.

• Like 2

On 11/6/2022 at 10:19 AM, MMiskoe said:

But the main reason for this post is that while we were there, the #692 Honorificabitudinatibus guys came by looking for a clutch disk.

This is David with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus team. Thanks again for your generosity with parts and tools, the Champcar community has been very kind to us as we slowly learn what spares to bring! It was great to meet you all and hope to see you at another event.

We were able to run all day on Saturday. We were happy with the performance of the car and how we placed, 2nd in class somehow! Unfortunately Sunday a rod let go without warning and that was the end of our weekend (and motor). Now we're debating whether to keep it Mazda powered or move to something else.

• Like 1