2022 AMP'd Up Duals at Atlanta Motorsports Park results

Bill Strong

• Administrators

dusted off the flag car (stratus) 

thanks to champ car and the AMP and safety crews, fabulous weekend as always.

P54 to P8 Saturday, 

we were running P3 Sunday and lost a strut 40 minutes to go. 

Crashmanagement had a hot rod.

Shelby, Allen, Jon, what a great time.

#wedontworkthishardformoney

hope everyone made it home safe. 

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Bill Strong said:

Bill, I wanted to recognize how far your photos have come. Very impressive improvement. I know I greatly appreciate the coverage, and I'm sure the rest of the paddock agrees 👍

y4mE3GX61ERDRv0Fp0zyw9bIgIX4k7JEIW0_z8Tgh2w2Oh9LFBaoJL7a_eplZiEcsYXQ0VpSVLuhqSMs7fVqxmi0ybgTYXJN8YbXApU9E2lZyVD2pZhkQVJ9_qUTYKXUXHqMaXEeKAEujFHM_N5lrcz5yVVYioZmvIziMVFira_KIfp_70GRV5zX2hCwQQh6Pshr8EyXdq8DpkFV0r7KpPlXGcm2azGa7-jP0iBIom2Rsk?encodeFailures=1&width=1078&height=719

040A1238.jpg

Edited by Wink
  • Like 11

3 hours ago, wallyb said:

dusted off the flag car (stratus) 

thanks to champ car and the AMP and safety crews, fabulous weekend as always.

P54 to P8 Saturday, 

we were running P3 Sunday and lost a strut 40 minutes to go. 

Crashmanagement had a hot rod.

Shelby, Allen, Jon, what a great time.

#wedontworkthishardformoney

hope everyone made it home safe. 

Good times...

FB_IMG_1667151762802.jpg

Edited by Racer7x
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Wink said:

Bill, I wanted to recognize how far your photos have come. Very impressive improvement. I know I greatly appreciate the coverage, and I'm sure the rest of the paddock agrees 👍

y4mE3GX61ERDRv0Fp0zyw9bIgIX4k7JEIW0_z8Tgh2w2Oh9LFBaoJL7a_eplZiEcsYXQ0VpSVLuhqSMs7fVqxmi0ybgTYXJN8YbXApU9E2lZyVD2pZhkQVJ9_qUTYKXUXHqMaXEeKAEujFHM_N5lrcz5yVVYioZmvIziMVFira_KIfp_70GRV5zX2hCwQQh6Pshr8EyXdq8DpkFV0r7KpPlXGcm2azGa7-jP0iBIom2Rsk?encodeFailures=1&width=1078&height=719

040A1238.jpg

Agreed 1000%!  Awesome pictures you are taking!

38A5995B-C289-4CF0-99AE-10196FEF9D8B.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks to Champcar and AMP staff for a fun and safe weekend. 

This was my first experience with the Flagtronics system and its new features, and I'm a believer. 

Congratulations to the winners! For a small field there were a large number of cars that could have won these races. Other than a couple of questionable decisions by some drivers we though that the driving was clean and respectful. 

• Like 3

Quick race report for #341 On Second Thought Miata

First off, thanks to the ChampCar team for putting on a great event!  We always love running at AMP.  

We made some changes to the car prior to the race (brakes, tires, new shocks).  Test day showed all drivers had more confidence in the car, and also showed we were putting down good lap times. 

Saturday we kept racing and stops clean, and we were able to pull out a 5th overall.  The car was loosing pace throughout the last two stints.  Post race inspection we found our front pads were down to the backing plates!  This was a new brake setup for us (larger rotor, Wilwood calipers), we weren't expecting that fast of pad wear.   

Sunday we were planning on rain, so did a few changes for car setup thinking it was coming, and also some adjustments based off how the car performed on Sat.  Started off somewhat slow and didn't really ever achieve our pace from Saturday due to our setup changes not matching the track conditions.  Had a few coms/mechanical things which added some time in the pits as well.  Finished 15th overall.  

After the race both days we were talking about how close a lot of the teams were and the racing seemed generally really clean.  This field seemed to be pretty deep with quick lap times which made competition really good throughout the weekend.  That said, we were surprised with how many cars ended up in places we have never seen before, there were at least 4 incidents over the weekend where the driver reported a car into the trees, or into a wall really hard (wheels off the ground).  I'm not sure what caused the incidents if it was mechanical failures, contact, or driver error.  Hopefully all the drivers were ok.  

While our results weren't what we were hoping for, we still had a good weekend and look forward to our next race at Road Atlanta!

• Like 3

Friday:

We were lapping on CECFs, and in the slower traffic of the test day couldn't get enough heat in to them. They felt like crap. Then Chuck fortuitously bends a wheel on a curb. We only had 4 Contis, so had to switch to Bridgestone RE71RSes. I hadn't wanted to run these because I didn't know how well they'd hold up.

They are a much, much faster tire.

Then just before 5 pm, the track tells us we're way over their sound limit. I run to all the nearby auto parts stores and find a 2.5" chambered muffler. We borrow a welder and get it on. It's much quieter. In our excitement we forget we needed to change brake pads before the race...

Saturday:

Though the Speedhive results don't seem to show this, we had a penalty lap from being a 510 point car. Chuck drives fast and clean, running a few 1:30.Xes. He pits under yellow and we change front brake pads, which knocks us back a lot.

I go out out and am pleasantly surprised my motion sickness is 90% solved. Wow is a lot of more fun when you're not sick! I'm able to drive well because of this, and also click off a few 1:30.Xes. The 'stones plus our light weight (allowing us to push hard on what is a quite soft tire) simply give us a massive grip advantage over the rest of the field. If there's an NC-sized hole in traffic, I can fill it. Inside or outside of the corner, it doesn't matter.

Chuck was still 2 tenths quicker but I was often able to see a 1:29 predictive on the exit of T6. I knew I could go a lot faster if traffic was willing. Nearer the end of my stint traffic starts to get shall we say more challenging, and I relay this to Chuck.

He gets in, and we're all in agreement we still have a shot to win this. I'd made up 2 laps during my 2-hour stint, and if we can keep that up we've got a solid shot. Unfortunately on his 28th lap he gets wrecked by #528 Soarer Losers:

He would have saved it if the initial hit hadn't of destroyed the right rear wheel. This causes the secondary spin that puts him in the wall. The shell is wrinkled back to the rear firewall, so it's done. He's sore with a headache but otherwise ok.

I don't have time to build two cars at once, so my inclination is to sell it and all my spares to someone interested in building an NC, and concentrate on WRL.

• Sad 17

19 minutes ago, Grant said:

Friday:

We were lapping on CECFs, and in the slower traffic of the test day couldn't get enough heat in to them. They felt like crap. Then Chuck fortuitously bends a wheel on a curb. We only had 4 Contis, so had to switch to Bridgestone RE71RSes. I hadn't wanted to run these because I didn't know how well they'd hold up.

Then just before 5 pm, the track tells us we're way over their sound limit. I run to all the nearby auto parts stores and find a 2.5" chambered muffler. We borrow a welder and get it on. It's much quieter. In our excitement we forget we needed to change brake pads before the race...

Saturday:

Though the Speedhive results don't seem to show this, we had a penalty lap from being a 510 point car. Chuck drives fast and clean, running a few 1:30.Xes. He pits under yellow and we change front brake pads, which knocks us back a lot.

I go out out and am pleasantly surprised my motion sickness is 90% solved. Wow is a lot of more fun when you're not sick! I'm able to drive well because of this, and also click off a few 1:30.Xes. The 'stones plus our light weight (allowing us to push hard on what is a quite soft tire) simply give us a massive grip advantage over the rest of the field. If there's an NC-sized hole in traffic, I can fill it. Inside or outside of the corner, it doesn't matter.

Chuck was still 2 tenths quicker but I was often able to see a 1:29 predictive on the exit of T6. I knew I could go a lot faster if traffic was willing. Nearer the end of my stint traffic starts to get shall we say more challenging, and I relay this to Chuck.

He gets in, and we're all in agreement we still have a shot to win this. I'd made up 2 laps during my 2-hour stint, and if we can keep that up we've got a solid shot. Unfortunately on his 28th lap he gets wrecked by #528 Soarer Losers:

He would have saved it if the initial hit hadn't of destroyed the right rear wheel. This causes the secondary spin that puts him in the wall. The shell is wrinkled back to the rear firewall, so it's done. He's sore with a headache but otherwise ok.

I don't have time to build two cars at once, so my inclination is to sell it and all my spares to someone interested in building an NC, and concentrate on WRL.

Such a bummer guys.  Glad chuck isn't feeling too bad.

25 minutes ago, Grant said:

Which solution do you think helped the most or was it a combination?

19 minutes ago, Ron_e said:

Which solution do you think helped the most or was it a combination?

I think it was mostly exposing myself to the track and smelly cars more than I had in the past. The test day Friday really helped; I think I actually felt worse then. I also noticed I got a bit motion sick going WOT in a Tesla, so I bought one as a daily driver.

1 hour ago, Grant said:

Friday:

Saturday:

ugh that sucks. Sad to hear that was the end! That car looks so clean, where is all the crap?

How much faster do you think RS71RS is on that track? A full second?

Curious to why you are 510 points?

5 minutes ago, turbogrill said:

How much faster do you think RS71RS is on that track? A full second?

Curious to why you are 510 points?

At AMP I believe 2 seconds over CECFs.

510 points because I didn't have time to replace the coilovers with cut springs.

50 minutes ago, Grant said:

At AMP I believe 2 seconds over CECFs.

We picked up just over 2 secs with the RE71's from our fast lap last year over the RS4's. It got us our first ever FTD on Sunday. But they were pretty well spent after 7-8 hrs. We rotated R sides 4hrs in. 

Edited by bigyellow
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, turbogrill said:

435 base
25 for header
40 for coil overs
---
500 pts

Are you taking 10pts in materials or hubs or something? Or do you have aero?

Yes, materials related to windshield removal plus extensions on the rear top hats.

43 minutes ago, tyler_j said:

Ouchhh, hate to hear thats the end of the Nemesis NC but glad everyone is ok.

At the start of the video it looks like a lot of debris getting knocked up, did the #528 have a tire go down or was that normal for no windshield?

That's a pretty normal shower of rubber when the car in front is off-line. I believe this was also the cause of #528's initial oversteer.

Edited by Grant

2 hours ago, bigyellow said:

We picked up just over 2 secs with the RE71's from our fast lap last year over the RS4's. It got us our first ever FTD on Sunday. But they were pretty well spent after 7-8 hrs. We rotated R sides 4hrs in. 

@Rodger Coan-Burningham

@bigyellow nothings wrong, I was just having conversation with Roger 

Thanks for the chats with all you guys

Edited by Team Infiniti

Diesel to tow from Detroit..... $1200

JB weld to fix a rock puncture in the fuel tank found just after the driver's meeting Saturday...... $12

Photo bombing the lead car under the checker flag on Sunday because "I want my lap back"...... Priceless

971637969_Screenshot_20221031-1830412.png.2a77c5a99a4720534f92c7eaf0771e4d.png

Now home and ready to hand out candy while unpacking the trailerPXL_20221031_222932646.jpg.cc3694a48a3242b8fe2259a8403fed2b.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Grant said:

Yes, materials related to windshield removal plus extensions on the rear top hats.

That's a pretty normal shower of rubber when the car in front is off-line. I believe this was also the cause of #528's initial oversteer.

Unfortunately got to see this from the sidelines, sorry about the loss, being that we were at pit in when the Lexus came off track, I asked him what happened, (Not knowing the right side of the car got away from him I didn’t look at his tire) but that was his report, Car got away.

58 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

@Rodger Coan-Burningham

@bigyellow nothings wrong, I was just having conversation with Roger 

Thanks for the chats with all you guys

I'm not happy about the current tire situation in Champcar.  Something needs to be done.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1