Rodger Coan asking to serve on the BOD for 2023-2025 term

I am offering to serve on the board again this upcoming term.  I have been on the board since last year to fill the board spot Doc had (I make no claims to have been his replacement, nobody could do that).  Attached is the bio I sent to Bill, pretty much the same one I submitted last year with some updates based on my short time on the board.  

In summary, if you don't have time to read the bio, I am 59, a licensed engineer, and run a business unit of a cellulose fiber mill.  I have been racing with Chump/Champ since 2013.  Since then I have raced in over 60 events (80 something individual races) with this series, usually 2 or 3 in our car and 6 or so in other cars every year.  I love the series and want it to do the best job I can to represent the interests of each member.  It's your club, we should take your input and bring it forward and use it along with our experience and knowledge of the challenges facing the series.  I promise to do the best I can in that.  Sometimes opinions differ, so we (the board) do the best we can to consider all aspects and make the best informed decision.   

In general I am in favor of making as few changes as we can, but sometimes to close loopholes in the rules or better clarify how the business should be run, changes have to be made.  What we have works, for the most part.  I have opinions myself on almost every aspect of the club, but always listen to input.

If you have questions for me ask it here, by email to rodger.coan@champcar.org, or text/phone 662.364.0785.

R Coan BOD election bio 2022 update.pdf

• Like 6

• Technical Advisory Committee

I've always found Rodger to be honest, friendly and genuinely caring toward fellow racers and the series health. It was a pleasure working with him on the TAC, until he was moved into his current BoD position. We've added Rodger back into our chat group because of the fact that he's always willing to listen to a differing point of view, and/or come up with some ideas himself. His personality is such that he's easy to work with, and has a calmer state of mind than some of us, especially when working through some difficult situations.

I could go on blowing smoke for my buddy, but I'll end by saying that the work Rodger has put in up until now has been great for the series, and I think the Club will benefit by electing him for an actual full term on our Board. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, mcoppola said:

I've always found Rodger to be honest, friendly and genuinely caring toward fellow racers and the series health. It was a pleasure working with him on the TAC, until he was moved into his current BoD position. We've added Rodger back into our chat group because of the fact that he's always willing to listen to a differing point of view, and/or come up with some ideas himself. His personality is such that he's easy to work with, and has a calmer state of mind than some of us, especially when working through some difficult situations.

I could go on blowing smoke for my buddy, but I'll end by saying that the work Rodger has put in up until now has been great for the series, and I think the Club will benefit by electing him for an actual full term on our Board. 

Thank you Mike, that means a lot coming from you since I know when you say something you mean it.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Team Infiniti said:

Roger gets my vote.

That also means a lot knowing how long you have been in this series and know what it takes to compete at the highest level.  Sorry we weren't able to continue our conversation Saturday, as you could tell we were having multiple issues.

• Like 1

Hopefully he doesn't break CCES like every car he drives

In all seriousness, Rodger will get my vote. Every time we chat about the series he's able to hear and understand my perspective. We might not agree about certain things, but he will; at a minimum, do it professionally and then provide a valid counter argument.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

BoD Candidate, 

What is your opinion on ChampCar adding driver tracking similar to other series?

Thanks,
Alex

Alex,

The barcode system that WRL requires serves them pretty well for what they use it for. To me it’s one of those nice to haves but I don’t see a compelling reason for us to invest the time, money, and resources to implement and maintain a similar system.

Edit: but as with a lot of these type options if the current membership wants to push for it, operations can look into it further. 

Edited by Rodger Coan-Burningham
  • Like 3