2022 Sebring 10.5 Race Results and Reports

Great way to end the year. Thank you Champcar and thank you to our competitors for continuing to provide the best endurance racing experience in the country. We had an awesome time at this race, it was easily the most competitive A-class field we've seen I think in any race. Coming home with a P3 in A and P4 overall, although not the win we wanted, still felt like an achievement given the level of competition in this field. Congrats to Clarke for taking home the win.

Please enjoy some epic footage of us and Valyrian in the final minutes of the first stint. These two guys know each other and race accordingly.

As we look into 2023, MBM Performance is excited to have our largest schedule yet. We will continue to run our 669 and 668 cars (668 for sale, PM if interested). We will also be adding 667, a B-class NC. If you'd like to join one of the most exciting and competitive arrive and drive programs in Champcar, please send me a PM. 2023 schedule is attached below. Thank you, and see you all in 2023!

IMG_8709.PNG.9c1b4ae25250b47a052e2b5db62bc7be.PNG

• Like 2

Not the race we wanted but all of our drivers got track time and a clean race for the most part other than swapping paint with the team above because of a crappy attempt at passing. 

A chaffed fuel injector power wire took us off track for a while. Trying to trace the short wasn't fun but an easy fix once it was located. 

The most disappointing part of the race was how long it took for a yellow to get called and for safety workers to get to the E36 that wrecked prior to T7 at the end of the race. That was a nasty high speed hit and I went around at least twice before anything was done. Not sure what the shortcoming was in this incident; but, hopefully the track and series review it and improve upon it. What if the car had caught on fire with the drive unconscious? 

Sebring did not disappoint.  We had a great time and everyone one around us drove very well (we did not see any crazy moves that we could not deal with), so Congratulations to everyone and Thank you to Champcar. 

So on to how our day went.  We started off pretty good, we have a decent starting point (something like 18th) then started to move up a few spots in the first handful of laps.  Then our driver pulled into the pits about an hour in and asked “Am I on Fire?  Is something burning?”.  I immediately looked under the car and saw a lot of smoke, opened the hood and see fluid all over the front of the motor.  It took a minute to figure out what was going on.  Asked the driver to turn the wheel and then seen fluid spewing from the fitting on the power steering pump.   Of course, it was not something easily accessible. Once we found a wrench and were able to turn the nut 1/8 of a turn at a time, we got it tight and sent him back out.  That lasted for a little while, and he had to come in for a quick tighten again. 

On the second stint I got in the car and hit the track, about 3 laps in I lost all power steering, and I came in and brought it behind the wall.  We removed all the stuff in the way and took the hose off and discovered that the o-ring on the fitting was gone and this is why it was leaking. Luckily, we had one in the trailer and were able to get it all back together and out on the track (that took us 45min).

After all of that we were back out putting in good lap times the rest of the day.  Unfortunate we lost a good hour off track messing around with this issue which bumped us way down in standings.  If we did not have that issue, we would have had a really good day. 

We ended up using a new tire set up (was a taller tire that we used in the past) and it threw off all of our drivers because it made the final gear ratio taller than we were used to and change what gear we would be in at a given turn.  We ended up with our fastest lap of 2:35 which was pretty good for the day but a little slower than last year which I think was 2:33.   

With all of this we still had a good time.  

19 hours ago, MBMEngineering said:

Please enjoy some epic footage of us and Valyrian in the final minutes of the first stint. These two guys know each other and race accordingly.

Wow - you guys were going at it pretty hard out there!

As a note to people new to Champ that might watch this video, the level of blocking and "pushing the other car off of the track" in this video is NOT typical.  If you move over at the last minute in the braking zone on someone you don't know, 9 times out of 10 you will get introduced to the nearest tire wall (not because the other guy is pissed, but because he won't be expecting the move and will hit you before he has time to utter an expletive)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We had a great practice on Friday and even had set a new fastest lap with our Integra after some suspension adjustment during the fall.  We were looking forward to a great Saturday but I ended up a sitting duck in T15 after I looped the car - probably just a bit more confidence in the tires than they were willing to provide - not sure if it was the fog or what might have happened.  Unfortunately we took a hard hit which totaled our car but I was thankful the safety gear did the job and also the other driver was OK.  Not the way we, and especially me as the owner, wanted to have the day turn out.  I appreciated the quick response from the track safety team and all the support afterwards.  Car is too bent up to worry about fixing - plus I have another shell sitting and ready to build out.  We'll be back soon!!  

IMG_20221231_120233644_HDR[1].jpg

• Sad 8

12 minutes ago, Racer28173 said:

Does anyone happen to know how many pit stops the winning #350 GBU car made?

My (not so keen) eye detects 4 fuel stops in Speedhive. Laps 37, 76, 115, and 151.

• Thanks 2

Running Bulls Racing report.

What a year we’ve had! We came down just looking to finish out the year on a good note and not hurt the car too bad to be ready for our home race at Road Atlanta. Sebring doesn’t disappoint. It’s a few of ours favorite track and it’s been a couple years since we’ve been down there.

We started off with Andrew in the car, he started off in the 21st position and quickly made it into the top 10 within the first 10 laps. A couple good battles with Ed in the Shark car and Mike(??) In the Rotary Rocketeers RX7 and the Boras Miata kept his motivation up and he’d slowly pick off a few more cars ultimately landing in the 4th spot by the time he pitted. Next in was our rental, Justin Lipson who went out in 18th place due to somewhat of an ill-timed stop as the leaders would mostly pit just a few laps later under yellow. Justin did a great job of again working the car through the field and ultimately pitting in 3rd place. Next up was Matt who kept us in the Top 5. Now it was just waiting for the cards to fall as we were on a slightly different pit schedule to those in front of us. Michael Bulls did some work keeping us up in the standings as we continued to see whose till had to pit and what issues would arise. Bulls finally brought the car in in 6th place. One spot away from where we finished 6 of 7 races this year. Now it was time for Mike Merrill to get in and finish the race out. With some coaching from above as he was racing with a heavy heart after the passing of his Mom just a few weeks before the race, he brought the car home in 5th place due to Rotary Rockateers having an issue in the last 45 minutes. We also took home 1st in C class which is a first for us. 

Overall we are thrilled with a Top 5. While the team didn’t have one in 8 years prior of racing we can honestly say we aren’t going into each race expecting to be here. These races are hard and it takes a team to get here. Looking forward to fighting to get on the top step next year.  

We’d like to acknowledge those that helped us in the pits this race. Andrew had his son, Kameron doing fire bottle, who was home on leave from the Navy. His daughter, Katelyne helped keep track of pit stops. Soozie made sure everyone was hydrated and had food. We also had Chris Martin with Money Pit Racing fame help us with fueling. 

03A9CD66-1374-4A9F-B791-3ACB12522BBD.jpeg

• Like 8

Now that everyone is back at home and settled in we are starting to share the pictures i thought i would share a couple.

Beginning of the race, all set up and our friends at Coppertail provided us  with a team tent and free beer for the team so that was good.  

image.jpeg.d73289f8d634a33c49bc105a990a3865.jpeg

Getting ready for a drivers change......

image.jpeg.9e74cc0e66f085a4abeb15721c5b6f82.jpeg

Team Pic 

image.jpeg.17ebaf08810e420c8e87ac68935c6688.jpeg

This was our mechanical that took us a little bit to solve.

image.jpeg.c77c39e03fd445d6d3440c1d68861e3a.jpeg

Final drivers picture after the race was over.

image.jpeg.64f6aa29446f335abbbf41c08bbea7e9.jpeg

• Like 3

10 hours ago, petawawarace said:

Watching the live stream, they likely could have had another couple laps added too if it wasn't for all the FCY

Actually, because of the use of purple 35s instead of FCY's GBU never lost any lead they ever built up to the field.  The field never bunched back up to them or back together at all.   Once they lapped 2nd it didn't matter but that happened quicker with Purple 35's vs. FCY's.    Purple 35s are a really good thing for the fast cars. 

Edited by Snake
  • Like 3

On 1/4/2023 at 3:17 PM, smitham32803 said:

Now that everyone is back at home and settled in we are starting to share the pictures i thought i would share a couple.

Beginning of the race, all set up and our friends at Coppertail provided us  with a team tent and free beer for the team so that was good.  

image.jpeg.d73289f8d634a33c49bc105a990a3865.jpeg

Getting ready for a drivers change......

image.jpeg.9e74cc0e66f085a4abeb15721c5b6f82.jpeg

Team Pic 

image.jpeg.17ebaf08810e420c8e87ac68935c6688.jpeg

This was our mechanical that took us a little bit to solve.

image.jpeg.c77c39e03fd445d6d3440c1d68861e3a.jpeg

Final drivers picture after the race was over.

image.jpeg.64f6aa29446f335abbbf41c08bbea7e9.jpeg

Another corvette!

How are your lap times related to GBU? Should be same on power?

• Haha 5

11 hours ago, Snake said:

Actually, because of the use of purple 35s instead of FCY's GBU never lost any lead they ever built up to the field.  The field never bunched back up to them or back together at all.   Once they lapped 2nd it didn't matter but that happened quicker with Purple 35's vs. FCY's.    Purple 35s are a really good thing for the fast cars. 

I see what you’re saying.  I just meant that with all the laps spent not racing, they were not adding 5-10 seconds a lap on the field. A quick count of GBUs laptimes show almost 40 laps of that race appear to be under caution or P35.  

• Administrators
5 hours ago, racerfink said:

I’ll just say that a certain yellow MR-2 ran a 2:29 years before the GBU Vette was ever built…

Green. But close

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, turbogrill said:

Another corvette!

How are your lap times related to GBU? Should be same on power?

On 1/3/2023 at 10:09 AM, smitham32803 said:

We ended up using a new tire set up (was a taller tire that we used in the past) and it threw off all of our drivers because it made the final gear ratio taller than we were used to and change what gear we would be in at a given turn.  We ended up with our fastest lap of 2:35 which was pretty good for the day but a little slower than last year which I think was 2:33.   

We are still not as fast as them with our best lap of 2:35 vs their 2:27, and it looks like their average green flag laps are somewhere near 2:35ish, where ours varies depending on driver from high 2:30's to mid 2:40's .  So on an average green flag they are still 5-7 sec faster than us.  

It is not a fair comparison between the 2 cars.  First they start off with 300 VPI compared to our 450 VPI.  The main differences are the following:  We have penalty points, they do not; they have more fuel than we do (we only have stock tank 20gal); we have TPI (stops making power at 5,000 RPM), they have duel plane intake with TBI injection that makes power past 6K; they have Aero, we do not; they have way more tire than we do; they have better tires than we do; they have  pro drivers, we do not; they have deep pockets compared to our budget operation.  With all that being said, our team are proud of our ability to be close to these  guys. 

• Like 8

And they’ve still won fewer races than KSR did with a Lexus SC300.  Ten and a half hours plays right into their strong points.  They were able to shift a little earlier to save fuel, and thereby only make as many stops as all the other front runners.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, racerfink said:

And they’ve still won fewer races than KSR did with a Lexus SC300.  Ten and a half hours plays right into their strong points.  They were able to shift a little earlier to save fuel, and thereby only make as many stops as all the other front runners.

Lol….They could have made atleast 2 maybe 3 extra stops for fuel and still won the race…

• Like 1

7 hours ago, smitham32803 said:

We are still not as fast as them with our best lap of 2:35 vs their 2:27, and it looks like their average green flag laps are somewhere near 2:35ish, where ours varies depending on driver from high 2:30's to mid 2:40's .  So on an average green flag they are still 5-7 sec faster than us.  

It is not a fair comparison between the 2 cars.  First they start off with 300 VPI compared to our 450 VPI.  The main differences are the following:  We have penalty points, they do not; they have more fuel than we do (we only have stock tank 20gal); we have TPI (stops making power at 5,000 RPM), they have duel plane intake with TBI injection that makes power past 6K; they have Aero, we do not; they have way more tire than we do; they have better tires than we do; they have  pro drivers, we do not; they have deep pockets compared to our budget operation.  With all that being said, our team are proud of our ability to be close to these  guys. 

Thanks! 

Can you port that TPI to breath a little better? What tires are you running RS4s?

23 hours ago, petawawarace said:

Lol….They could have made atleast 2 maybe 3 extra stops for fuel and still won the race…

Doing the math shows that’s highly unlikely.  If they ran 2:27’s every lap, and you ran 2:40’s, they would barely make up two laps in an hour if it was green for that entire hour.  The number of Purple 35’s, plus the traffic, would make it a miracle.

Again, the shortening of the race because of the fog, along with them starting very close to the front, all played right into their hand.  I’ve seen plenty of their races where they had to run flat out to make up for their fuel consumption, and it caused them to break.  Plenty of other teams have won far more races.

4 hours ago, racerfink said:

Doing the math shows that’s highly unlikely.  If they ran 2:27’s every lap, and you ran 2:40’s, they would barely make up two laps in an hour if it was green for that entire hour.  The number of Purple 35’s, plus the traffic, would make it a miracle.

Again, the shortening of the race because of the fog, along with them starting very close to the front, all played right into their hand.  I’ve seen plenty of their races where they had to run flat out to make up for their fuel consumption, and it caused them to break.  Plenty of other teams have won far more races.

Dude they finished 6 laps plus over 2nd place Clarke Motorsports.  Clarke had a best time of 2:35.  So let’s use an average of 2:38 which is pretty good.  6 laps at 2:38 is just shy of 16 minutes.  

They could have easily made 2 extra green flag fuel stops and still won. Maybe even 3 green flag stops.  Fuel strategy had absolutely nothing to do with them winning this race.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I was at the VIR 24 back in August, and Pinkies Out won (for the fourth year in a row, btw) by 15 laps.

Having worked for one of the greatest strategists in IMSA racing, I feel endurance racing comes down much more to preparation and strategy, especially being able to change that strategy on the fly to take advantage of cautions.  It’s a big reason why he won races and championships against younger, faster drivers.

• Like 3

On 1/6/2023 at 4:05 PM, turbogrill said:

Thanks! 

Can you port that TPI to breath a little better? What tires are you running RS4s?

The factory runners on a L98 have paper thin walls. There aren't many free mods for that engine to help it breath. 

• Like 1