Hard wire radio

Any ever hard wired their radio? So you don’t need to use the small battery? 
I’ve got an older set of radios that work well but one of the batteries crapped out.  It supplies 7.5v so I was thinking of using a little step down regulator and hard wiring it in. Any thoughts? 

8 hours ago, petawawarace said:

Any ever hard wired their radio? So you don’t need to use the small battery? 
I’ve got an older set of radios that work well but one of the batteries crapped out.  It supplies 7.5v so I was thinking of using a little step down regulator and hard wiring it in. Any thoughts? 

Yes, get a  Battery eliminator kit for your model. 

Edited by Team Infiniti

7.5V converter that provides power to the battery radio.  Works well.  I took a battery that wouldn't hold much of a charge and terminated the power from the 7.5V source to the battery terminals, then re-installed the battery in the radio.  When powered, the 7.5V source provides needed power for the radio and keeps the radio battery up, when not powered, the radio battery is able to keep up for a short time after the ignition is off.  

Motorola used to make an adapter to go into the cigi-lighter socket.  Have one in my other car.

We went to a battery eliminator kit but switched back to just using batteries. Depending on usage, the fully charged radio will last just over 8 hours. If gets low on charge, we change it during a regular pit stop, takes 30 seconds to disconnect cords and attach the new one. We have 4 identical radios, so 2 are always in the pits fully charged and ready to be swapped. We like being able to shut everything off and still have radio communication.

• Like 2