Two Way Radio Vendors

• Administrators
5 hours ago, JohnLaclair said:

Thanks. Any chance that that could be looked at in the future ?  

I am working on sponsors now. 
The past says that radio sponsors stand around a lot at all events that they have attended, and made very little money. 
The feedback was not good for any to return as onsite supporters.
Unfortunately ChampCar is not the bastion of money some think our teams have.

• Thanks 1

John

I am working with a proven racing radio vendor ( not racing radios) and getting a package together to rent for the race weekends.

Package includes driver and one pit radio set. Very basic. Basic comes with ease and reliability hopefully.Plug and play install. Working out the details for a couple months now. It would be shipped out by the Monday before the race and shipped back by the following week. Kind of like the guy who rents FIA fire suits and team safety packages but just radios. 

If others are reading this let me know how much interest there is so I can judge how much equipment to get. And any special specific needs anyone has or experiences.

What are you willing to pay to talk to your driver?

Thanks for any feed back. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, 333 Kinkle said:

That's the real question right?  My impression has been that a decent system is well over $1000, and so our team doesn't use radios.

Would be interested to know if other folks are accomplishing this on a "chump" rather than "champ" budget scale.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grufton said:

That's the real question right?  My impression has been that a decent system is well over $1000, and so our team doesn't use radios.

Would be interested to know if other folks are accomplishing this on a "chump" rather than "champ" budget scale.

Municipal city auction vehicle  Radios, had the opportunity to dig through a pile and find the park service used the 400 MHz range and latched on to one particular brand of Kenwood based on this finding, from there have purchased a couple of replacements on eBay as bad things happen. Another auction attended had obsolete (15-year-old)Ferrari race car and team stuff wound up with a pile of Kenwood handheld, bought new batteries and learned how to program everything.

Knowing what I know now, I’d probably be $200 richer if I had just bought the thousand dollar set up front as this is an evolution that started with Old school CB, motorcycle chatterbox Radios, Then bao fang junk

Edited by Team Infiniti
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, 333 Kinkle said:

John

I am working with a proven racing radio vendor ( not racing radios) and getting a package together to rent for the race weekends.

Package includes driver and one pit radio set. Very basic. Basic comes with ease and reliability hopefully.Plug and play install. Working out the details for a couple months now. It would be shipped out by the Monday before the race and shipped back by the following week. Kind of like the guy who rents FIA fire suits and team safety packages but just radios. 

If others are reading this let me know how much interest there is so I can judge how much equipment to get. And any special specific needs anyone has or experiences.

Don't need but think you are onto something.

Good Luck!

John, do you need parts, equip or programming support?

At any race that Rockwell Autosport attends this year, my GF can program Motorola and Beofong. Also, most vendors will do it pretty affordably if you ship the stuff to them, often for free if you're a customer or at least buying some new equip at the time.

• Like 1

• Administrators

That was our issue. We spent a few grand if not more on many different setup before I just bit the bullet and spent $1500 on 4x HYT radios. Awesome radios that work super well at every track we attend. I even use them for the ChampCar Live show every now and then.
Fun note In March 2021, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) declared that Hytera video surveillance and telecommunications services and equipment "pose an unacceptable risk to U.S. national security.”[11] In November 2022, the FCC banned sales or import of equipment made by Hytera for national security reasons.[12]

16 hours ago, 333 Kinkle said:

John

Please keep us in the loop on the progress.  This sounds interesting if we can work on a reasonable cost solution.  As mentioned above it is hard to justify a $1K+ purchase for radios when our team only races a couple times a year. 

• Like 2

Didn't mean to open a big can of worms about this. But thanks for all the response. I come from a short track LMSC background so to me it's just second nature to think about two way comms.  Normally we would have a vendor show up  twice a season and take care of any thing that you could think of radio wise. As I'm still new to this type of racing I just wanted to ask.     

Edited by JohnLaclair
spelling
  • Like 2