Sebring 2011 Video From Kamakaze Racing

We just cut the springs to reach the desired ride height. With the amount of weight reduction we did, we had to cut quite a bit which of course adds a lot of stiffness.

The lack of bounciness surprised us as well. We were maybe even more surprised tech didn't even pull the wheels off the car.

Guest Florida e30

We just cut the springs to reach the desired ride height. With the amount of weight reduction we did, we had to cut quite a bit which of course adds a lot of stiffness.

The lack of bounciness surprised us as well. We were maybe even more surprised tech didn't even pull the wheels off the car.

Congratulations on your Sebring win! Well deserved ... Keep on eye on your shocks though. Nothing wrong with cutting springs, rate should be the same as the coil material and diameter has not been changed. The lenght of travel and bounce has however been modified to your advantage. If the reason for your stiffness is bottomed out shocks, then this could stress mounting points and could produce fracture ... something to check for your safety on track. I may be wrong, but, still worth verifying ... enjoyed watching your race ... :-)

Congratulations on your Sebring win! Well deserved ... Keep on eye on your shocks though. Nothing wrong with cutting springs, rate should be the same as the coil material and diameter has not been changed. The lenght of travel and bounce has however been modified to your advantage. If the reason for your stiffness is bottomed out shocks, then this could stress mounting points and could produce fracture ... something to check for your safety on track. I may be wrong, but, still worth verifying ... enjoyed watching your race ... :-)

Hhhmmm, I would hope that our shocks are not bottoming out. We did not alter the suspension geometry, and I wouldnt expect that the factory would design the shocks to bottom out before the suspension was allowed to go through its full travel.

Guest Florida e30

Sorry .. did not mean to create an issue ... when you cut springs, as you lower the car you diminish travel. That includes the shock travel. Some cars will have more tolerance than others. It may very well be that you found an excellent combination on your setup. Just mentioned the shock possibility because of your "lack of bounciness". Your suspension geometry is no longer " factory" once you modified any part of it ... just an observation from a bystander enjoying your performance .... :blink:

Ok, so maaaaybe we did a few more things than just cut the springs. Wasn't our first rodeo ;) I'd probably be easier to list the parts of the suspension we didn't touch/measure/tweak, most notably being the internals of the shocks (some parts-store brand that came on the car; I don't even know if they're rebuildable). Unlike everything else on the car, they "just worked", and I don't have a shock dyno (yet) anyway.

We did measure bump travel (using zip ties), along with a zillion other things.

• 3 months later...
Guest CarFannyMiss

Congratulations on your Sebring win! Well deserved ... Keep on eye on your shocks though. Nothing wrong with cutting springs car parts, rate should be the same as the coil material and diameter has not been changed. The lenght of travel and bounce has however been modified to your advantage. If the reason for your stiffness is bottomed out shocks, then this could stress mounting points and could produce fracture ... something to check for your safety on track. I may be wrong, but, still worth verifying ... enjoyed watching your race ... :-)

I second, congrats on the win and love the video.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...