Pikes Peak 24-hour

Guest ChumpCar

Guest FTNguyen

We finally finished a race weekend on One motor. 5th place to boot.

Very fun time as always, thanks for the rally impressive guys got stoping when my street car was broken down after the race, great group or racers.

Guest rallyimprezive

We finally finished a race weekend on One motor. 5th place to boot.

Very fun time as always, thanks for the rally impressive guys got stoping when my street car was broken down after the race, great group or racers.

Thanks to you as well for the support, and the oil!! I was happy to see you guys get an entire race under your belt like that...and STILL drive the ChumpCar home! Awesome!

I heard the "mad cow" team finished first with an Altima. Not their "mad cow" car, but a diferent Altima.

Second place went to a VW golf.

This might not be correct, the driver I spoke to (golf team) sounded really tired, said they only had a 4-man team ;)

Mad Cow had two Altima's at High Plains so it probably was their's.

Great race this weekend guys. I had a blast watching the top running teams...well all the teams actually. We met some really great people that shared the same passion for racing as we do!

We had a decent race going up until our transmission stuck in 2nd gear. We managed to turn in some laps after our transmission went out, but we really could only race in the in-field section, but it was fun none the less.

I did take a few pictures. Please feel free to use these as needed. If you need a copy without a watermark, please just ask.

/>http://crossbarphoto.smugmug.com/Sports/Chump-Car-08Sep2012/25285793_PqXdvW#!i=2077413460&k=jjgPphX

1st - #33 Angry Mad Cow Racing - Nissan Altima - 1084 laps. Best Time 1:10:273

2nd - #5 Champagne Motorsports aka Jedi Knight - VW Jetta - 1081 laps. Best Time 1:12.540

3rd - #22 IzzI Racing - BMW e30 325e - 1073 laps. Best Time 1:10.986

It was a fantastic race!

We were running well in our 1991 CRX until about 9 hours into the race when our transmission snapped the shift fork locking us into second gear. We managed to limp the car around the track and ultimately crossing the finish line in 15th place with 518 laps completed and a best lap of 1:13.824

I took pictures at the event. Please look through them and use them as needed. If you need a copy without a watermark, just ask.

/>http://crossbarphoto.smugmug.com/Sports/Chump-Car-08Sep2012/25285793_PqXdvW#!i=2077413460&k=jjgPphX

Guest WhiteRabbit

Project Yellow Racing had a pretty good race. This was our 3rd attempt at a 24 hour race, and it was the first one we ran all 24 hours. We had some tire issues and our brakes didn't seem to like the fact that they were not getting used for half the lap, but other than that our little CRX ran great! Finished 6th overall, and our shoe put down a 1:13:9!

We had a lot of fun, it was great to see all the regular teams, and even better to meet some of the new ones. Can't wait to race with you all again!

Guest WhiteRabbit

What? Not a Bimmer? Not a neon? Not a Miata? But... a Nissan? The "haters" can't even spell Nissan!

That Nissan was quick! They were also clean, and patient. They wouldn't stuff you, but would wait 2 corners to make a clean pass on you (unlike some of the other fast team, you know who you are). Big congrats to Angry Cow, much deserved win!

Guest rallyimprezive

1st - #33 Angry Mad Cow Racing - Nissan Altima - 1084 laps. Best Time 1:10:273

2nd - #5 Champagne Motorsports aka Jedi Knight - VW Jetta - 1081 laps. Best Time 1:12.540

3rd - #22 IzzI Racing - BMW e30 325e - 1073 laps. Best Time 1:10.986

It was a fantastic race!

We were running well in our 1991 CRX until about 9 hours into the race when our transmission snapped the shift fork locking us into second gear. We managed to limp the car around the track and ultimately crossing the finish line in 15th place with 518 laps completed and a best lap of 1:13.824

I took pictures at the event. Please look through them and use them as needed. If you need a copy without a watermark, just ask.

http://crossbarphoto...13460&k=jjgPphX

Glad our car had another gimp to follow around the track for that last hour! :)

Glad our car had another gimp to follow around the track for that last hour! :)

The view is a bit different that low on the oval! :rolleyes: Putt, putt, putt around the oval and WHAM....run the infield...then putt, putt, putt the oval...repeat!

Guest rallyimprezive

OK, race report:

I took the green flag for our team, and drove hard to try and set a good pace for our other drivers to follow. After my 1.5 hour stint we were in 4th with a fast lap of 1:13.768, which showed that our car had some serious potential to be competitive as long as we could be reliable and efficient. Aaaand that didn't happen. Several hours later, our driver came in because of spiking water temps, and we discovered that the cooling system was nearly empty. Head gasket failure. We pulled the motor using a fork-lift provided by track management (thanks guys!!!) and pulled the heads. Not only did the head gasket go, but the heads were badly warped. We used a flat file provided by Z-racing (thanks guys!!) to try and clean them up, and threw another set of gaskets in. With the motor back in the car, we still had serious over-pressure in the cooling system. As a last ditch effort, we over-torqued the heads and I took the car out for a test drive. After one lap, temps hit 240deg. We made a decision to call it a night, and just attempt to finish the last hour, and cross the checkered flag. At 9am, we went to the pits, and I dumped ice all over the engine, we buttoned up the hood and sent my dad on his way. We figured we would get 5-10 laps before the motor gave out completely. Rumor is that other teams were placing bets on how many laps we could get (haha!!). After 30 mins with the engine STILL running (although at temps for 240-280) we brought the car into pits for fuel, and I dumped 5 gallons of water on the engine. Back out on the track, not even 1 lap in, water temps all hit ZERO, telling us we were out of water. It is a mystery how the engine held together, but we did complete the remaining 30 mins, and saw the checkered flag, with NO water in the cooling system. With the car back in the garage after the race, the block surface temp was around 350deg. Needless to say, that motor is DONE.

We always hope to be competitive, but for us, the racing is really about family and friends, and having a good time. All teams in attendance at this race were very supportive of our team, and cheered us on. It's because of all the support that we can still say we had a great time this weekend, and it's why we keep coming back to ChumpCar events. Thanks to everyone out there this weekend, you are a good group. We look forward to seeing you all at the next race!!!

• Like 1

Guest WhiteRabbit

Rallyimprezive - So glad you guys were in the garage accross from us again this year (I'm the dude with the beard and earings that keept coming over and bugging you). Your never say die attitude is awesome. I'm sorry to say that your race reminded me of so many that we have had. I've seen other teams that would not have tried to finish after all of that. In my opinion, in a crap car race, if you finish, you win! Nice win guys!

Guest rallyimprezive

Rallyimprezive - So glad you guys were in the garage accross from us again this year (I'm the dude with the beard and earings that keept coming over and bugging you). Your never say die attitude is awesome. I'm sorry to say that your race reminded me of so many that we have had. I've seen other teams that would not have tried to finish after all of that. In my opinion, in a crap car race, if you finish, you win! Nice win guys!

Haha, yup, I remember ya. Didn't bug me at all, it was nice to chat with a Subaru owner that "gets it." And I think you really would have drove your Impreza out to donate the motor if you could have. Im happy to hear you say that we got a win, because damnit, after dealing with that motor all night, it DID feel like a win just to see it finish under its own power!

That being said, congrats to you guys too, for gettin such a solid finish!

Guest dtyree77

Here are my pictures/video from the event, I was on the 787B Not team:

/>http://minus.com/mZDphA1YU

In one of the videos you can see a car loose it's lights in the in-field:

/>http://minus.com/lbi9e9SzRis19M

It was great racing with everyone!

Awesome race guys, thanks for the opportunity. We love racing with ChumpCar and our fellow Chumps. In all we had 3 other vehicle love taps, 4 mechanical gremlins, one dead tire, and somehow managed to drive the car there and back. Feels odd not having to search for a motor after a race for once.

Thanks again to all the drivers out there for a some hard racing and sincere comradeship. Thanks to my team for the great effort and hard work, and thanks to Chump for the awesome series.

Chris took some awesome shots, mostly of our crap can and team of course, but he got few others.

ChumpCar Midnight Madness PPIR

Guest WhiteRabbit

Here are my pictures/video from the event, I was on the 787B Not team:

http://minus.com/mZDphA1YU

In one of the videos you can see a car loose it's lights in the in-field:

http://minus.com/lbi9e9SzRis19M

It was great racing with everyone!

That was totally me that lost the lights. My elbow hit the switch going abound that corner. Took me a second to realize what happened. I had them back on before I hit the esses. Too funny!

Guest rallyimprezive

Awesome race guys, thanks for the opportunity. We love racing with ChumpCar and our fellow Chumps. In all we had 3 other vehicle love taps, 4 mechanical gremlins, one dead tire, and somehow managed to drive the car there and back. Feels odd not having to search for a motor after a race for once.

Thanks again to all the drivers out there for a some hard racing and sincere comradeship. Thanks to my team for the great effort and hard work, and thanks to Chump for the awesome series.

Chris took some awesome shots, mostly of our crap can and team of course, but he got few others.

ChumpCar Midnight Madness PPIR

Awesome pictures. Its amazing what a good L series Canon lense can do. :)