Laguna Seca Easter

Guest posnova

Guest posnova

Beautiful weather today for tech and registration. I got a sunburn... in March. Awesome!

We have a diverse field teched and ready to go fist thing tomorrow morning. Join us on live timing and watch North Loop try and steal the first 2013 west region podium with their Central region E30 duo.

Guest posnova

After about 3 hours, we have the following on the leader board: Car # 525 - If It's Not Punk It's Junk - BMW 525i, Car # 69 - Racey Diva - Datsun 280ZX, and Car # 35 - Parabellum - Miata 1.8

One million thanks to whomever is working the timing and scoring at Laguna Seca today for putting car types into the live scoring. That is a very nice addition to us chumps who are unfamiliar with the teams in other regions. I hope all regions will integrate this in the future.

Is Racey Diva running EC since she's staff?

• Like 1

Guest posnova

We've had some interesting activity. A full course yellow was necessary to pick a car out of the dirt. And on the restart, another full course yellow was necessary to pick a car out of the dirt. And on the restart, another full course yellow was necessary to pick a car out of the dirt. And I think we've got those out of the system for now :). The original car off was one of the North Loop cars. It has returned, but is at least 4 inches narrower than it was before. Driver is OK. It spun and went into the tire wall - driver's side. There's a nice door-bar shaped imprint in the door's sheet metal. The door is zip-tied shut after proving the driver could egress the vehicle with the door closed. At the 5 hour mark, 2 and 1/2 remaining, we have Car 525 - BMW 525 in 1st, 69 - 280ZX in 2nd, and 35 - Miata in 3rd.

Car performed flawlessly other than the fuel pump screen is picking up fuzzy-masses of fuel cell foam which eventually clogs the screen and creates fuel starvation. Clean the screen and she's good to go. I don't think that the foam is deconstructing (using 91 unleaded); rather, i'm hoping it's just remnants of the foam after cutting and fitting. We'll see if the problem reoccurs at Watkins Glen.

John

John, we ran into that problem with Lacey's fuel cell in our first race, using pump gas. I HOPE you aren't having the luck we did...after doing several races with expensive ethanol-free gas, we ended up having to replace all the foam with special ethanol-resistant foam...and they still recommend draining the tank after each race. But the pump gas, even the gasohol at the Chumpionship in Iowa, worked fine after that.

Revelation - the foam does that? Last year after I put in the surge tank *with foam* after a couple of races we were also having fuel starvation issues. Since we run a rotary we thought it was the mix oil we were adding that was clogging up the fuel filters and we started changing filters every race and that seemed to solve the problem. Moving from the 2 gallon surge tank to the 0.5 gallon tank it will not have the foam.

Note: our surge tank sits on top of our fuel tank so it does naturally drain when not in use.

And, finally, it was the maiden-voyage of the "31 Chumponda" (ChumpCar's Officailly Unofficial Honda Civic). Mike Seningen (one of our usual Texas-based Chumps) flew in from Seoul, Korea, to give the car it's first laps and report back on tire testing, car handling and issues. Mike put in 3 hours and I did 1 hour... and there's not a mark on the car! Perfect test! Car performed flawlessly other than the fuel pump screen is picking up fuzzy-masses of fuel cell foam which eventually clogs the screen and creates fuel starvation. Clean the screen and she's good to go. I don't think that the foam is deconstructing (using 91 unleaded); rather, i'm hoping it's just remnants of the foam after cutting and fitting. We'll see if the problem reoccurs at Watkins Glen.

John

post-744-0-76660800-1364846377_thumb.jpg

John was more than a gracious host as was all the Western region ChumpFolks -- especially Cathy!

Despite a new car that was way too pretty, a new track, and no FWD experience -- I was able to stay out of everyones way and bring her home clean....

well except all the oil I was collecting from the VW Bug mosquito sprayer. I did my best to follow close enough

so y'all fellow Chumps wouldn't have the misfortune of driving through the oil if it were to fall on the track :-)

I also enjoyed visiting folks up and down the paddock, especially the Kiwis :-)

If any of you make it out to the Texas Chump events -- I hope we display 1/2 the hospitality I received.

cheers,

Mike

post-744-0-18527500-1364846535_thumb.jpg

John was getting some consultation from the Ultima Battery Rep

about how his batteries would clean those filters

during our unscheduled pit stop :-)