Sleep Deprivation

Guest ChumpCar

Guest ChumpCar

Okay, all you 36'ers... let us know how many hours (or minutes) of shut-eye you actually got starting at 10:00am on Friday morning, 5 July through 10:00am on Sunday morning, 7 July.

I can report that Cathy McCause and I got about 7 hours each (total) for the 3 days.  We were up at 4:00am (along with Mark Scholz or La Familia Racing) to do those television promotions for the 5:00am "Morning Show" broadcast on Friday, which made Friday a VERY LONG day.  I don't really remember Saturday at all.  Sunday.... wait.  There was a Sunday?  Walked in the door last night at 9:04pm.  Pat the dog on the head.  Hit the pillow at 9:17pm.

Gawd, I love my job!

Thanks for the herculean effort John. I suspect most of us chumps were in about the same boat as you and your staff. I got about 3 hours Saturday night.

Thanks for a great time. I think I'll take about a week off, and then back to work on the car. The Ridge? I am going to give her hell!

Out of those 48 hours spent at the track, I got about 2 hours on Friday sitting in the racing seat that I bought from cagedruss, then about 4 hours Saturday night on an actual bed.

I quite enjoyed volunteering; between meeting many of the people here on the forum, handing out stickers during tech, repeating the phrase "visors down" countless times on pit lane and pestering Cathy and others with incessant questions, it was a lot of fun and very informative!

It was also very exciting watching the final hours of the race play out from pit lane, especially the last ten minutes! What a finish!

• Like 2

Guest NSFW

I honestly don't remember how late I was there Friday night, but it was well past midnight and I got back Saturday morning at 8am. Saturday "night" I was at the track well past 4am before going to the hotel to sleep... then came back at 9:30 to watch the finish. About 10 hours total, I think. Better than most, apparently.

Who else heard the squeaky bird at dawn on Sunday? It was coming from up in a tree, over by the bathrooms. That was the goofiest birdsong ever. I want to know what it was.

I honestly don't remember how late I was there Friday night, but it was well past midnight and I got back Saturday morning at 8am. Saturday "night" I was at the track well past 4am before going to the hotel to sleep... then came back at 9:30 to watch the finish. About 10 hours total, I think. Better than most, apparently.

Who else heard the squeaky bird at dawn on Sunday? It was coming from up in a tree, over by the bathrooms. That was the goofiest birdsong ever. I want to know what it was.

It was John,he does Goofy real well ;)

The carefully planned driver schedule said I was going to the hotel to bed in just a few minutes when the car came into the pits with a little connecting rod sticking out... suddenly that nice 12 hour scheduled sleep evaporated as we changed the motor.

Not sure how it worked, but somehow after the checkers flew I was giddy enough to stay awake and drive another 7 hours towards home before grabbing a hotel.

If chumping was easy everyone would do it... overall I'm pretty happy with our week-end, we got lots of track time and even on low boost our times were competitive. I'm working hard on getting the car on a frame machine so we can turn it around and scare the BMW's at BIR!

• Like 2

Somewhere between 3-4 hours but wasn't really sleep.  Passed out in the chair a few times so not sure how long I was truly asleep.  I usually woke up during full course yellows since the race noise got quiet and I knew something was wrong.  We had a good 'off duty' schedule that most everyone but myself followed.  I'm just glad we didn't blow up again because there was no energy to do an engine swap!  What a fantastic race. 

• Like 1

Luckily I was able to get 7 to 8 hours during the weekend.  I don't know how the others made it with little or NO sleep.  It was my first ChumpCar race and I had a blast.  Looking forward to The Ridge in August.  Big thanks to the CoF Team for allowing me the chance to get a ride.

After this the short races are easy, right?

I got a total of about 6 hours, on the high side.

I slept for about 1.5 hours on Saturday morning after my first stint at 2-4 am.  Was in the team trailer, and woken up by team members in search of spare parts.  I ended up getting up to help out, since I probably would not be able to go back to sleep.  They thought it was rotors at first, but it turned out to be a cracked spindle, of all things. 

I don't sleep well during the day, so was not able to get back down again until Saturday at about 10:30 pm, was up at 3 am for my final race stint.

Woke up from my first nap to the sound of our car being revved in the cold pit...AARRGGH!  Brad said the oil light was coming on (about 7 hours in).  Turned out to be the wire for the switch was grounded out on the VVT actuator bracket.  That was the only break in my sleep schedule...2 hours between stints...5 drivers.  About 6 hours total.  Night became day, day became night.  Brad was greeted with a friendly Chumper with a warm 'Good Morning'...Brad asked what day it was lol.   As we got closer to the finish I sure was feeling the fatigue set in.  Just in time to pack...yeah! 

Crash damage repair first night, clutch replacement Sat evening and driveshaft replacement early Sunday morning played havoc with the schedules. Think most of the team did it on less than 6 hrs between Friday morning and Sunday evening. A few on only 3-4 hrs.

Cut a driving shift short Sunday just after dawn due to fatigue - glad it's over but the drama at the finish was awesome. Congrats to all the Chumps - volunteers, drivers, crew, workers - it was an amazing effort by all - many, many more racing stories that will be told and retold for many years to come.

For my part, I got plenty of sleep.

*That* was not the problem.

Honestly: I need to invest in a smoke mask and some Nomex gloves -- I never know what quality hot dogs I'm going to be dealing with; the ones at Spokane were extremely juicy, such that any time one inadvertently got punctured, it would leak juice all over the burners, setting half the *&^%$#!ing grill on fire. The flames and smoke were such, any moment I expected Stigdad to appear and say "I'm ready to drive it!". ;)

• Like 2

I have no idea. I would sit in a chair between $#%@ happening and fall asleep once in a while.

Here's me ready to go at a moment's notice at like 6am on Sunday.

994831_10102666824429280_1035914779_n.jp

That's in the pit by the wall. No ear plugs. No shades.

• Like 1