How many chumps would be interested in having a gathering of Chump at the Turkey Rod Run this year?

Reading the Team Phoenix Painesville Party in the Park thread reminded me of an similar idea we had last year but couldn't pull off because our car was apart. Maybe we could do a club parking spot inside the track with Chump info posted, video playing, ect. At a quick glance the club parking seems pretty reasonable but not sure how much traffic you would get. I don't know how much actual vendor style booth is but I imagine the value for dollar is diminished. It doesn't even have to be at the track if we parked the cars together at Bellair Plaza or something similar.

I know we have quite a few Chump teams in the area with at least six now in Daytona Beach area alone. Just the six I know of in Daytona are a pretty diverse field with a Town Car, V8 RX-7, Civic, 2.3L turbo Mustang, 5 Series, and Miata. Figured I would put this out there and get a gauge of interest/ideas from people on the board. Warning: it is on Thanksgiving weekend, hence the turkey part for those that have other commitments. I also realize for many (including Lead Sled) it would hinge on the outcome of Sebring.

John, I think this is part of the target audience you were after in the print and on-line media thread. This is a group of people that have enough money to build hot rods and have a passion for cars. The turkey run was billed the largest car show in the southeast for years and draws quite a crowd.

Link to turkey run site: http://www.turkeyrun.com/Turkey_Run_Home.html

Edit: Forgot about bcakes 5 Series BMW

• Like 2

Interested but its right after Charlotte and at the same time as http://www.tourofdestruction.com/orlando-speedworld/

where we usually have a car or 3 there but this year ChumpCar obviously prevents necessary prep, maybe if it still runs after Charlotte I could drive it up to show @ Turkey and spectate @ speedworld (another target audience we should conceder)

I forgot about the second Charlotte date that was added a week prior to Thanksgiving.

Crash-O-Rama is something I forget about every year. Great target audience as this crowd that already wastes spends money on racecars and expects them to be disposable, has the skills to build a chumper, a racing mindset, and practice crashing low budget machines  :lol:. I don't know how Robert Hart would take advertising to racers at his tracks though. I would view it as a conflict of interest if it were my track as said racers would be prioritizing there available funds to a series that doesn't benefit my investment. 

I do agree that the circle track crowd doesn't know the fun being missed on the road racing side of things due to stigmas created (some deserved, some fiction) about road racing as a whole. We happen to have a certain circle track team member that had some of those same reservations about the whole endurance racing idea at first because of that. Now, he Chump races more than the rest of us and has a modified sitting in the garage collecting dust. When talking to circle track guys that's where I showcase the fun and differences of ChumpCar versus other left turning venues. From my experience circle track racers would be a waste of print ad dollars to market to, the correct forum is in person to break the mental barrier. Haven't seen any of those people build a chumper yet but you could tell it helped erase some of the misconceptions associated with the words road racing.

Alright, I'll get off the soapbox and back on topic again :). It would be great to have the Infinity present as the vehicles not normally associated with racing tend to get a lot of attention and questions, especially ones signed by Mario Andretti.

• Like 1

Hey now...  we caught on fire and still finished 45 places ahead of you guys at Daytona...    lol!

Ouch, that was so good I'll buy the first round.

With the amount of oil hitting everything hot on our car luck was the only thing between a racecar and a pile of embers.

• Like 1

Turbo Fox Racing is totally down to spread the word of Chump at the Turkey Rod Run!  We need to get with Mike and see if we can't get some support from the series.

Agreed.

I started the thread to gauge interest and get people thinking about it. Once we have an idea of how many participants will be present then we'll figure out what to do, more cars = more planning.

might be able to make it ,whats the dates and can we camp??

Thanks Rick M.

The official event dates are November 28th thru December 1st with the show hours being from 08:00 to 16:00. Once the show is closed most people gravitate towards A1A and cruise with the unofficial hang-out being Bellair Plaza.

I'm pretty sure camping at the track is not allowed but there are a number of private campgrounds in close range. 

I discussed it with the team and various non chump (but turkey interested) friends everyone seemed interested in doing something, I personally would be, car permitting, interested in actually driving up and entering our chump in the car show as it also gets us tickets and premium parking

You think we could enter our ChumpCars as Rat Rods?  :D  It is essentially the same thing, but with decades newer cars and some safety equipment...

• Like 2

You think we could enter our ChumpCars as Rat Rods?  :D  It is essentially the same thing, but with decades newer cars and some safety equipment...

Funny you should say that, here is one of the sentences from the email:

Think of ChumpCar as the rat rods of the road racing world.

• Like 1

Update: Got a response to my email. They do still have a couple club spots available.

They are interested but wanted to see what the other cars look like first. I sent car pictures of all those that have responded so far.

Just like you local news, I'll exaggerate post news as it happens.

• Like 2

Just a little update - I won't steal Mike's thunder since he has been orchestrating this, but I do know he just got a favorable response from the powers-that-be from the Daytona Street Rod club and should be posting the details.

I received a call from a friend of mine today that is a member with the club - it warranted enough attention to be brought up at the monthly club meeting last night. To paraphrase the president, "I have never heard of this Chumpcar thing, but it sounds pretty cool." To anyone that is into old cars or muscle cars, this is a huge event and is not only epic as a car lover, but epic exposure for Chumpcar and the racers as well.

• Like 1