AMP'd Double 7

autoxmike

Super day of racing for the first race ever at Atlanta Motorsports Park. The track raced well - very technical and the quality of driving there was pretty fantastic. The Hong Norrth MX-3s really enjoyed racing at a track where small motored cars has a shot. Everything  fell into place today for a P1 & P2 finish for the mighty MX-3s!!  

Special thanks to Mike Chizek & staff for a smooth running race at a brand new track.  Now time to rest & recharge for another round tomorrow.

• Like 2

Tire eating track?

Tire eating, brake eating, fuel eating - we had it all. For such a "left-turn-heavy" track our front drive car destroyed the left front tire. We went through a brand new set of cheap rear brake pads on Saturday, and fortunately had some old used HPS pads the throw in for Sunday. The front pads looked reasonable after Saturday's race so we just bled the system and ran the same rotors and pads. By the end of 4 hours Sunday the front was jackhammering hard under braking, and there probably isn't any pad material left.

The track drove and raced much better than I thought it would, and the AMP and Chump staff did an outstanding job all weekend.

We'll be back if the race happens again.

what happened at the finish?

2 BMWs running 1st and 2nd tied up with 10 minutes left in the race... NASCAR style crash down the front strait, cars sliding, tires screaching, parts flying... finished under caution... heavy damage to both cars... AWOL got the WHOLE thing on camera...

All of the concerns of the track being too narrow, no place to pass, overly restrictive sound, and so on proved to be non-issues.  AMP was a great place to hold a race.  It's a very pretty facility and the track management were great hosts.  However, it was the most physically exhausting track I've ever driven as car input is always required.  There are only a couple places to take a deep breath before your back in the fire again.  In all, it was an awesome weekend and I look forward to attending again next year.

• Like 5

I was racing with Go Fast Dont Screw Up... I absolutely loved the track! Everyone said 16 would bite you in the donkey, but honestly I never had any issues, other than colliding with the green mustang on that turn.  Did any of you all really have to hold on or was 16 non-existent to you all? I know Jenny (white miata red cage) wasnt going fast enough, so that might be some of it as well.

To the driver of the 74 in the 3rd stint today, fun stuff... I had a good time battling with you at the beginning of my stint.  And to the 171,717,117 whatever the red miata yellow top with E on the rear bumper. I know you probably were in the EC class but I had the most fun following you and trying to pass you in the 1-12 sections (all of them) you must have had the 1.8l in there because you put a good 7-10 cars on me coming out of 13 into the sweeper... 

My GF picked the 2 Hong Norrth cars at the beginning of saturday... Little did she know they would finish 1-2.  Today she selected the 336 and the 39.  Up until the 39 lost it in the kitty liter off 6 you were up top, and of course the ending was crazy.  But still her ability to pick the cars that will finish the day on the podium within the first 10 minutes of the race is unreal.  (last race we went to she picked the winning car of a 14 hour race in the first few laps.) Moral of the story, if I am there and my GF picks your car to win, you have a solid chance! Shes a good luck charm I am going to guess haha.

My GF picked the 2 Hong Norrth cars at the beginning of saturday... Little did she know they would finish 1-2.  Today she selected the 336 and the 39.  Up until the 39 lost it in the kitty liter off 6 you were up top, and of course the ending was crazy.  But still her ability to pick the cars that will finish the day on the podium within the first 10 minutes of the race is unreal.  (last race we went to she picked the winning car of a 14 hour race in the first few laps.) Moral of the story, if I am there and my GF picks your car to win, you have a solid chance! Shes a good luck charm I am going to guess haha.

Quickly take your girlfriend to the local convenience store the next time Powerball hits triple digits (in hundreds of millions). Buy tickets! That's uncanny.

It was a pleasure running with most cars all weekend, with courteous driving and lots of point-bys. A few drivers seemed to think they were playing Gran Tourismo and would get a new car with a replay, and it drives me crazy when a car drives at 15mph during a full course yellow (even after a not-so-subtle hint during Sunday's driver's meeting to pick up the pace).

My favorite line of the weekend was from one of our crew members who said "The restrooms here are amazing!" (they were).

Hong Norrth Sumbich #39 video from the start of the race Saturday.  The end of the first video and the beginning of the second video both Hong Norrth cars have a long battle with eventual the Sunday winner, Cone Crusher #917.  Such an amazing weekend.

Start of race, MGD, Stint 1A

MGD Stint 1B - Hong Norrth and Porsche goodness.

Mike Stint 2A

Who ran the fast lap?

Was an E36(Team SFR) until the Biohazard MR2 beat it.

2 BMWs running 1st and 2nd tied up with 10 minutes left in the race... NASCAR style crash down the front strait, cars sliding, tires screaching, parts flying... finished under caution... heavy damage to both cars... AWOL got the WHOLE thing on camera...

I wouldn't call it NASCAR style. That makes it sound like it was because of someone being a dumbass which I don't agree. I know both teams. I know both drivers. It was an epic 1hr plus battle. Black E36 went to pass a slower car that was not blocking or doing anything wrong. Was out too wide for the last turn and dipped a tire. This caused a slide at high speed which came back and the red car was right there. No one wanted to see that ended as the battle was epic.

And yes. I foresee this sells out more quickly in 2014... it raced quite nicely and we even were one of a small count of cars with body damage.

what a weekend!!! here is how my week started, had the car loaded early in the week, running like a champ, left Friday morning to some misting rain... by the time i got to AMP the weather was clear and warming up... our pit stall was adjacent to the observation tower and we had an end stall, meaning only a neighbor on one side... we asked where do we park our trailer and they said "just back it right up to the pit stall"... how could this get any better??? we cruise around the garage area and spoke with some of the members as well as one of the owners... these were really laid back car guys, they invited us into the garage area to take a look around, i felt very welcomed... the facilities were the nicest ive ever been to...

Saturday the race started and we were holding our own... battling most of the day for P5-P8 getting up to P3 with about an hour left our driver radioed in saying the wheel was making noise... i figured it was a wheel bearing and told him to push on... 7-8 laps later he pitted with the passenger hub broken in half... we were out for the day...

we sourced some salvageable parts for the driver side of the car, obviously the wrong side but it would fit... so we disassembled the driver spindle to fix our passenger spindle, new pads and rotors, the car was fixed...

sunday we get to the track and there is no pedal, we bled the brakes, nothing... i finally took the passenger caliper off just to have a better look and the pad didn't get settled in the bracket all the way... PHEW!!! what a relief... took the green flag at P29 and climbed steady all day... only one pit under green, all the others were FCY... battled the blue GT30 Mitsubishi most of the day for position... we were in the top 6-7 most of the day... at one point making it up to P2... our last driver had passed the two leaders still on the heels of the GT30 car although the GT30 consistently had 1-2 second faster lap times than us... with very little time left in the race "evilwheel" the driver of the GT30 went into the sand at T6, we closed the gap a little, still in P5 though... with 10 minutes left in the race the incident with the 2 BMWs occurred and the race finished under FCY...

to say it was a NASCAR style is to describe it as not being a slow incident, but a very fast sliding, screeching, incident typical of a NASCAR crash, not to insinuate the drivers were blockheads or poor drivers... they were obviously they top two cars... 

• Like 1

Me and my buddy volunteered this weekend. This was the second event we have volunteered at. AMP is awesome. The track looks really cool and we've decided we are going to do our best to get there in 2014. The Discovery Parts store was great (Summit Racing prices as far as I could tell), the facilities were awesome and once again, everyone involved in Chump (racers, workers, etc) were a blast. If someone was at AMP and didn't have a good time, they are doing something wrong. Oh, and the weather was perfect.